iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fees to charge

Started by Drake the sawyer, November 27, 2015, 11:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake the sawyer

How do I charge a customer that hires me to come mill their logs? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Either hourly or by the Board Foot.

There is a lot more things to consider also. I saw stationary but some of the other guys saw portable and will be giving you a more indepth answer. Good Luck.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Drake
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

How experienced at sawing are you?   

If not very experienced, might not be fair to your customer to charge by the hour.

On the other hand, if the customer wants to be involved and direct your sawing on nearly every cut, and discuss what just happened, and what he wants on the next cut... then charge by the hour.

If you don't want to have the pressure of sawing as fast as you can, then charge by the board foot. As Poston said, many things to consider... tell us more about your experiences sawing for others..  likely many on here with similar experience will give you some great pointers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Drake the sawyer

Yes sorry I did not go further into detail. I was copying Tom the Sawyer's prices but added a nickel or two to his prices. I had a guy that has a pecan log
And with my scriber stick said I should get 60 BDFT of lumber. And just a rough est I would get $39. Not enough in my opinion.

Drake the sawyer

logs2lumber

Yeah that wouldnt be alot to go and setup for one log. Or you could give a set price factor in some fuel setup time say you charge 80.00 to come cut it. Just depends also on how far if you hit any nails etc.

For me jobs like that are hourly rates

Drake the sawyer

Board Feet Milling Fee's
1/4 @ 1.75 p/bf
2/4 @ .1.00 p/bf
3/4 @ .75 p/bf
4/4  (1"thick) @ .65 p/bf
5/4 @ .60 p/bf
6/4 @ .50 p/bf
7/4 @ .475 p/bf
8/4 @ .450 p/bf
9/4 @ .425 p/bf
10/4 and thicker @ .40 p/bf

On Site Setup Fee - $50 + $2.00 plus one-way mile Mileage Fee

Hourly Milling Fee $75

Short logs (less than 6') and small diameter logs (less than 10" at the small end), require extra time to load, turn and clamp - yielding relatively few board feet for the time involved.  Those logs may be charged by the hour rather than by the board foot.  Hourly rates may also be applied to specialty milling projects like mantles, beams, cookies, and re-sawing.  When I have to stop and move each board productivity goes down considerably and the hourly rate will apply.                                                     It is the client's responsibility to provide someone to remove lumber from the mill. Note:  freshly milled lumber can be quite heavy.  If you plan to mill lumber thicker than 1 1/2" (6/4) you'll probably need an additional helper.    An 8/4x23"x8' walnut plank will weigh about 150 pounds - some species are even heavier.

Site and/or log prep fee $50 per hour

These are the fees that I am charging at the moment. Still think I might need to modify. Thanks!!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Drake!

I don't have a "set-up" fee, but I do have a 1,000 board foot minimum charge.

In other words if I do the sawjob and only end up with 750 board feet, the customer still gets charged for the 1,000 bf.

You'll need to let the customer know about this "up front"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

A smaller job at a distance is one of the issues with portable sawing.   You will have to work it out for yourself.  I have a minimum number of hours depending on distance, goes from 2 to 8 hr minimum. Also a mileage charge.  Let the customer decide whether it's worth it to him. I've driven 100 miles each way before, to make 2 cuts, or to resaw 3 beams, with an 8 hr minimum charge plus mileage, and the customer was happy.  In one case a renovation crew of 6 or so were all waiting for the cuts I made, it was a bargain for them to be able to keep going on their job.  I probably could have charged twice as much.

BUT...you don't have to be completely rigid, and you can offer to stop in on the way back from another job, with very little notice (at your convenience) when that opportunity comes, and charging much less.  ALSO.... when you're starting out you might want to consider taking jobs for less, at the beginning.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

You can click on icon in my profile below and get to my site to see my fee set up. I am currently sawing for a customer where I am doing the stacking. He agreed to pay extra for this - all other customers had me a stacker. I made mistake of starting stickering as stacking. Customer does not have to touch the lumber again to air dry it. It is easy for him but has been costing me too much time. I'll finish this job as agreed but next time If I stack I my rate will be for flat stacking and another higher rate if I have to sticker.

I have used both bf and hourly rates. Hard part is mixed logs where you have some decent logs and some small ones. If you have the customer separate them into piles like that he may decide not to have the smaller stuff cut - or you may chase him off (which may not always be a bad thing). At least he has a better understanding that it costs more to cut some logs than others.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Outer Rondacker

Quote from: Drake the sawyer on November 28, 2015, 05:43:50 AM
Board Feet Milling Fee's
1/4 @ 1.75 p/bf
2/4 @ .1.00 p/bf
3/4 @ .75 p/bf
4/4  (1"thick) @ .65 p/bf
5/4 @ .60 p/bf
6/4 @ .50 p/bf
7/4 @ .475 p/bf
8/4 @ .450 p/bf
9/4 @ .425 p/bf
10/4 and thicker @ .40 p/bf

On Site Setup Fee - $50 + $2.00 plus one-way mile Mileage Fee

Hourly Milling Fee $75

Short logs (less than 6') and small diameter logs (less than 10" at the small end), require extra time to load, turn and clamp - yielding relatively few board feet for the time involved.  Those logs may be charged by the hour rather than by the board foot.  Hourly rates may also be applied to specialty milling projects like mantles, beams, cookies, and re-sawing.  When I have to stop and move each board productivity goes down considerably and the hourly rate will apply.                                                     It is the client's responsibility to provide someone to remove lumber from the mill. Note:  freshly milled lumber can be quite heavy.  If you plan to mill lumber thicker than 1 1/2" (6/4) you'll probably need an additional helper.    An 8/4x23"x8' walnut plank will weigh about 150 pounds - some species are even heavier.

Site and/or log prep fee $50 per hour

These are the fees that I am charging at the moment. Still think I might need to modify. Thanks!!
Drake I do not mean to be rude but I will tell you this. At this price set up in my area your mill would grow old and rust up, gas would turn, and tires would dry rot if this is what you charged.
With that said I do like the fact that you charge less per BF as the thickness get s larger since I feel the log owner gets ripped on large timbers if charged a flat rate PBF.
On a final note. If you make the customer happy they will be back and tell their friends. If you make them unhappy they will tell everyone until they are not longer *pithed. Good luck you will figure it out. 

Drake the sawyer

The fees that I charge I copied from Tom the Sawyer. He has been doing this for a long time. He's on here also. What fees do you charge if Tom the Sawyers fees are to high?

Tom the Sawyer

Drake,

Just for clarification, in your post you said you added a "nickel or two" to my prices but, at 4/4 you are 30% higher (.15), which is my most common thickness milled. 

I encourage everyone to track their costs in detail so that you know what it costs you to provide your services.  It makes no sense (cents?) to try to match competition on prices alone.  It isn't just an equipment question (production from a basic manual vs. a super hydraulic) but also other costs such as rent, utilities, equipment maintenance and replacement, taxes, insurance, advertising, employee costs, support equipment, USDOT compliance, etc.  If your costs are exactly the same (pretty much impossible), then it comes down to how much your time is worth.  I do offer a set of discounts too ( and some 'unpublished' freebies :) ).

As for that pecan log.  If it was a request for a mobile job I would first encourage them to find a way to bring it to me.  If not, and they understand the costs, it would be $40 Travel (if 20 miles away), $50 Setup, $30 Milling, $6 Sales Tax = $126.  If that's not worth 2.5 hours of your time then pass on the job.  Brought to me, it would be about 20 minutes and cost them about $32.  No, it ain't much but the next time, when they get a couple of logs, they'll know where to go.

There is also some consideration as to the area you are in, and the species.  In some areas, charging $100 to mill 200 board feet of pine might seem high.  In my area, getting 200 board feet of walnut milled for $100 is a pretty good deal.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

sandsawmill14

i charge $250 per mbdft period if its less than 4/4 it is counted as 4/4 other than that it is billed as what it is doesnt matter if its 2x4 or 12x12. i have a 1000 bd ft minimum if portable other than that it is by the bdft. 
a tree only has so much value in it. if you are not careful you saw bill will be more than the finished lumber cost just to go buy it. :) the only way to make money custom sawing is to saw good lumber fast  if its not good you wont have any work if its not fast you wont have any money ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

drobertson

With every region, there are fluctuations in the pricing.  As mentioned you have time in getting there, then the sawing, handling at times, and the usual maintenance.  I charge by the bd/ft, and never have set a minimum, but rather discussed, or viewed what was to be sawn.  For one log, I would make an effort to encourage him to bring the log to you.  Whether its' 60bd/ft or 250,  one log is not much to move a mill for.,  Now on the other hand, I did move in for one log, a big one, but it was on the way out from the previous job, on the same country road, so, that was no big deal, but the only time I've done a single on the road.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

With some never ending questions on the phone you ask for their address.  Tell them you are sending them the $100 the phone call already cost you . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Drake the sawyer

Thanks Tom for ALL the help you have told me. I'm sure I'd like to talk to you again.

Kipper

FWIW, I charge the customer a flat rate based on the international log scale. This works out for them in a manner that they know what the cost will be prior to sawing (unless we hit nail or other foreign objects). Also it works out for me in the case that their log doesn't yield usable lumber due to defects not able to be seen until sawn.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Magicman

All of those different sawing rates would complicate me out of the sawing business.  I would hate to have to explain all of that to a new potential customer over the telephone.   smiley_dizzy 

I have one flat bf sawing rate and one hourly rate fee.  Sometimes you make a bit more, sometimes less, but it all works out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2015, 07:15:19 PM
All of those different sawing rates would complicate me out of the sawing business.  I would hate to have to explain all of that to a new potential customer over the telephone.   smiley_dizzy 

I have one flat bf sawing rate and one hourly rate fee.  Sometimes you make a bit more, sometimes less, but it all works out.
The beauty of simplicity...
bk

4x4American

Thing is, Tom has been sawing for a long time and has a broad customer base.  I would say that figuring out what it costs you to turn on the lights, so to speak, should be your first step in figuring out what to charge. 
Boy, back in my day..

Tom the Sawyer

Now hold on there just a minute...  That's two comments about me sawing for "a long time".  This forum is loaded with sawyers with much more experience than I have.  I've only had my mill for 6 years but I had been hiring milling services for 25 years before that.  My experiences, both good and bad, with those other operations certainly influenced how I operate my business.  My previous career also implemented cost/benefit and time analysis studies so that carried into how I do things.

You have to find a pricing method that works for you and your situation.  Straight hourly, straight board footage, a combination or bidding the job, all have their proponents.  Variable rates like hardwood/softwood or by other factors may work for others.  Most of my jobs only involve 1-3 rates so its not confusing IMO.  My last one was all 5/4 and 14/4, they're certainly two different styles of work. 

I count the tick marks on the tally sheet, enter the info into my tablet and it calculates the board footage, and the milling fees, instantly.  Two clicks and I know the milling fee for the entire job.  The tablet makes it easier, and much more accurate, but when I started I did it by hand.  I don't mean to opine that it is the best method for anyone but me... it works very well for me.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

YellowHammer

I saw stationary, but most of my charge is flat rate board foot.  Assuming I keep my lumber quality up to snuff, then the faster and more efficient I am, the more money I can make.  As I upgrade my equipment and process, I gain a benefit. 

I charge hourly on the types of jobs I know will slow me down, such as short logs or quarter sawing.  My pet peeve is when people bring me logs that still have pegs of branches sticking out like a porcupine.  For that I give them the choice to fire up their chainsaw to retrim the logs or I will charge $75 per hour to fire up mine.  I can't make money running a sawmill if I'm running a chainsaw.   ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 29, 2015, 12:12:21 AM
I saw stationary, but most of my charge is flat rate board foot.  Assuming I keep my lumber quality up to snuff, then the faster and more efficient I am, the more money I can make.  As I upgrade my equipment and process, I gain a benefit. 

I charge hourly on the types of jobs I know will slow me down, such as short logs or quarter sawing.  My pet peeve is when people bring me logs that still have pegs of branches sticking out like a porcupine.  For that I give them the choice to fire up their chainsaw to retrim the logs or I will charge $75 per hour to fire up mine.  I can't make money running a sawmill if I'm running a chainsaw.   ;D
No kidding, even at $70/hr, I think I can lose money chain sawing, especially with a long bar.  Need to pass some chain sharpening cost to the customer.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Every once in a while I'll tell a customer that he needs to take a step closer to the log before he puts it on the stack!   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!