iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Ebony?

Started by TreeBones, December 23, 2015, 02:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeBones

Has anyone ever milled Ebony? I know it's a Appendix II class for importing, dense, hard and the sawdust is mildly toxic. Just wondered if anyone has any experience?

Dan_Shade

I have worked small pieces by hand, it is very hard.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

No experience, but it is good to see you come up for air Ron.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TreeBones

MM, Been backed up with orders and trying to catch up.

I am looking at milling some 6" up to 10" X 6' logs and not sure about clamping down such small logs on my LT40HD. Should be able to cut easy enough but I here blades will dull pretty quick.

Chuck White

Good to see you, TreeBones.

If you're busy sawing, the old mill must be doing good!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

TreeBones

Chuck, The mill passed one million bdft a few years ago, should fill out my paperwork at WM to get my parts discount. Cant say enough good stuff about my mill, it has done a great job for all these years.

Chuck White

Congratulations on the "Million"!

I'm hovering right over "Half Million" at this time.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

Just cut a persimmon. That is an ebony. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

vt k-9

I cut a log a few years ago. It is like cutting steel. A few cuts burned a blade beyond use. I was running the lube full speed. Very cool wood.         Will

John S

Check with Marty Parsons about the special blades (stellite?) that WM manufactures for cutting exotics.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tule peak timber

I have a guy repeatedly contacting me , asking me to cut ebony by the container full, is he calling you also ? Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Kcwoodbutcher

I've cut ebony in the shop and yeah it's hard but doable with regular blades if you take your time. I've cut jarra on the mill and I think it's a little harder. It also cut well with regular blades but you have to take your time and use lots of lube.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

SLawyer Dave

Just a word of warning, if you are going to be dealing with exotic, imported species, make sure you know who you are dealing with and that they have all of the proper import licenses, (especially anyone wanting you to cut up shipping container lots).

Gibson Guitar found out a few years ago just how far the feds will go to crack down on importation of restricted species.  They have been raided several times and had thousands of board feet confiscated.  They ended up getting their wood back after lengthy and expensive litigation, but to a small business, it would kill you off with just the fines and fees let alone the litigation costs.

tule peak timber

Hence the reason I won't deal with the guy.........................................
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!