iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil MS200

Started by 6sunset6, October 27, 2011, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6sunset6

I like Stihl saws.  However
Bought this saw last Dec.   Probably ran 4 tanks of gas thru it.   Very small tank , but then it is a small saw.    I started having trouble with the gas cap. That new fangled thing that does not need a tool.    Finally I could not get it on at all.     I had some free time so I thought I would swing by the dealer and ask him to show me how to put the cap on. ( Felt like an idiot) .
Dealer is not a real warm and friendly guy but he is ok. He tried and said  It's out of time.   I said if I new how much of a PITA these caps were I would never buy a Stihl with one again.   He said they are all like that now.   Then he said there is a Service call on this .  I said What? He said a Recall is where they sent you a letter , bring it in.   A Service call is where if you bring it in it gets fixed for free. I got a new cap for free.   He said something about the orings swelling.   Works fine now.  However Sthil is not a fly by night co.
You would think they would have some kind of quality control on materials , especially materials in contact with petroleum products.  Must be the ethanol  cause the oil cap is ok.   Ethanol has been around for a while.   Must be third or forth party sourcing on the oring and they lost track.    At least they made good.    I would buy another Stihl  but I hate those caps.

bill m

I have those caps on most of my Stihl saws and have not had one problem yet.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Al_Smith

I have to laugh ,a new flippy for a 200T is about 8 bucks at a dealer and they try to get 12 on flea bay plus 5 to ship them .So far I've only managed to break one .I have though managed to oil my leg a time or two from not getting the oil cap back in correctly .Well at least my leg won't rust if nothing else .

Thank You Sponsors!