iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And now, the REST of the story

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 06, 2002, 04:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Here are the pics of the logs in the bedding area. We were pressed for time, so, there are not as many as you might like.Gives you an idea of what lies at the bottom of those creeks and tributaries.

Yours truly. I'm about 5' 10" and 200+ to put things in perspective.

My son, he's 6' +. These are ALL Cypress

Another angle of the same pile

Ready for the trip to the mill. Trailer had ALL it needed. We figured about 16,000, maybe more. These things are HEAVY.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow is right, Are you able to guess how long those logs have been submerged? What year they went in the water?
Thank you for the pictures.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fla._Deadheader

In round figures, the logs were cut in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They been wet since then. There was a BIG Heart Pine Forest, actually Long Leaf Pine, that started in Maryland,--Va. and extended to Fl. and Texas. Check out yer history and maybe you can do this too !!!
   First, it is ridiculed;

Weekend_Sawyer

If I were to dive in the Potomac river below Washington DC for logs I would probably find Jimmy Hoffa ;D ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fla._Deadheader

NAAAHHHHH, he's a support column in the Meadowlands Stadium.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Nah, he's gaurding the Edmond Fitzgerald eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I heard that he was spending his time all over the Everglades. :P

DanG

Maybe this debate will be settled in the latest McDonald's lawsuit. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

They thought they found him in the Wolverine Municipal Landfill.  Turned out to be a decomposed bear paw :o ;D :D ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

Nah, betcha he was used for bear bait eh. Hoffa had a camp up here in the UP just north of Iron River, always figured some hunter or logger might stumble on him.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Noble_Ma

I heard he was spending time with Whitey Bulger ;D

MrMoo

With these logs being submerged for as long as they have been, do you run into any problems with the lumber when you mill them up.
Do you have to let the logs aclimate to being out of the water?
I was especially wondering about the boards splitting as they dried.

Larry

Fla._Deadheader,

Your trailer looks like it has some kind of loading device on the back of it.  Can you elaborate a little bit on how it works and how you constructed it?
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DanG

Yeah, Harold. How about doing a little pictoral sequence on the use of your loader.  I haven't built mine yet, but I've found that I can use the existing ramps on my trailer, by putting  a chain between them. It works slick, as long as the logs will fit between the ramps. I don't have the snatch block to pull the log up first, but it works ok with just the swing of the ramps.

Larry, basically the thing works by using the arc of the device to lift the end of the log up and forward, to set the end on the trailer. Then the winch cable is hooked directly to the log, and it is dragged aboard.  Cheap, safe and easy! What more could a fellow ask for? 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Well, thanks for splainin that to us, DanG. ::)  Ya done good :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!