iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 March new rules on importing overseas wood?

Started by harrymontana, January 05, 2013, 08:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrymontana

hello, we are a hardwood mill located in Bolivia and exporting (also) to the US, now a friend of mine tells me that the US is implementing new rules that start from March 3, this year and it says that every piece of wood needs to be documented, where it comes from, where it has been sawn, everything from A to Z, does anyone have a weblink for further readings on these new rules?
everything on hardwood

shelbycharger400

Id contact the
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/
I couldnt find the new laws.

Came across a site for canada,  Seems like they made it hard for people goin camping. Ya cant hardly bring any food with you. Yep, restrictions on how much food you bring with you across the border

beenthere

The tree huggers of the world are in action.
And it fits in with the support from the sustainable forestry forces that will control tree cutting in the near future.
http://www.sfiprogram.org/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

g_man

Jay C. White Cloud

It is not a maybe. The primary catalyst is invasive species and pathogens.  G_man, you hit the nail on the head. 
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Cedarman

A lot of timber land management involves dealing with invasives.  It is only going to get worse.  I have the emerald ash borer and you know what that means.  Several places have gobs of Japanese stilt grass.  At least I have the Ailanthus knocked out for now.
I do not have a problem having GOOD regulations controlling invasives.  Those coming in and those going out.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jay C. White Cloud

I'm one of the "Tree Huggers," and a big wood consumer.  I'm always trying to "real," many of them back in on subjects of logging, milling and wood product use.  We need "good," regulation on product import, not "extreme," regulations.  I would want to be able to someday go to a location like Harry's and design and build timber frames from his wood.  I don't want to be stopped completely from importing or shipping them.  I definitely hear his concern.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

harrymontana

sustainable forestry is okay, however, the government is hard to fight when they make a mistake, instead, when you make a mistake they impose all their measures. We're are all equal except for the government.
everything on hardwood

thenorthman

We are all ignored or interfered with equally...

The best thing that could happen with import restriction, is that locale logging will pick back up, local mills will stay open, local pulp mills will stay open, more and more people will be hired on in the timber industry.  And just maybe things might turn around a little bit...

Its pretty sad when its cheaper to send logs to japan, korea, canadia.  Then they turn around and ship the wood back, how does that make any kind of sense?  Not to mention wood products coming in from russia, and south america... granted south america has some interesting woods for instruments and a what not,  but shipping osb pine from russia, or doug fir from korea kinda silly it'n it.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!