iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mondays Work

Started by smwwoody, January 12, 2013, 03:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Here is a shot of the new Poplar job we started monday.  This is what we had done by 2:00.

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

thecfarm

Another popular/aspen job. keen has one going too. Good size logs you got there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

smwwoody

Some of the trees that I measured before I bought the job were 30+ inches DBH
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

T Welsh

Nice days worth of work smwwoody. Are these average Poplars in your area? In PA. Poplars grow like weeds and we get 25 to 30" dbh average at harvest time,but all tracts are different,just wondering. Tim

smwwoody

I should be finished rebuilding this old brute next week to add to the job

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

That is some average poplar for this area.  The logs are a lot bigger than they look in the pic.  That is a husky 372 with a 24" bar in the first pick
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

loggah

That looks just like the 1990 Franklin 660 i had,  desert storm color except mine had a winch and M66 dual arch grapple, I had it for quite a few years ,tough machine.  What do the mills actually do with that long poplar down your way? Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

smwwoody

it is a 1995  170   the winch is going back on it now
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

keen

Nice looking trees your cutting, what kind of poplar is that? Here in michigan we mainly have quaking aspen. Ours usually goes for pallet wood. I know what you mean about " The logs are alot bigger than they look in the pic"  pictures just don't do justice sometimes. Nice work

lumberjack48

I loved cutting Poplar, comes out fast, we cut 16' logs down to 16 inchs, then 8' saw bolts down to 8 inch's, the rest pulpwood.
This is if its not rotten or punky wood.

I see a few bad ones on the landing, but other wise its cutting out real good.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

That green color in the heart is not rot it is just the normal color of the heart in yellow poplar,  the little bit of black you see on a few buts is just a little mineral stain.  We cut saw logs down to 15" then plywood peelers down to 8" if they are straight and less than 5 knots per 9 foot of log.  the rerst goes for pulp
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

loggah

No limbing that stuff when its below zero, it hits the ground the top disappears.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

smwwoody

Yea the limbs even pop off good when it is warm
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

clww

Looks like big trees. Where at in VA?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

smwwoody

That is in Buckingham county about an hour west of richmond
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

beenthere

Quote from: thecfarm on January 12, 2013, 03:37:03 PM
Another popular/aspen job. keen has one going too. Good size logs you got there.

Smwwoody says it is Yellow poplar. Not aspen or popular (or popple). ;)

Some get easily confused when just calling it poplar, but usually talking about Yellow poplar or tulip poplar.
And it does have purplish heartwood too.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Quote from: smwwoody on January 12, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
That is in Buckingham county about an hour west of richmond
You should have given me a call. I'd have come out and helped you guys. Poplar is great felling and cutting to length.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lumberjack48

I've cut a lot of Yellow Poplar, its like cutting Basswood. And its lighter then Black or White Poplar.
I don't remember seeing any heart in it, it was all clear wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smwwoody

Wood
Main article: Tulipwood

The soft, fine-grained wood of tulip trees is known as "poplar" (short for "yellow poplar") in the U.S., but marketed abroad as "American tulipwood" or by other names. It is very widely used where a cheap, easy-to-work and stable wood is needed. The sapwood is usually a creamy off-white color. While the heartwood is usually a pale green, it can take on streaks of red, purple, or even black; depending on the extractives content (i.e. the soil conditions where the tree was grown, etc.). It is clearly the wood of choice for use in organs, due to its ability to take a fine, smooth, precisely-cut finish and so to effectively seal against pipes and valves. It is also commonly used for siding clapboards. Its wood may be compared in texture, strength, and softness to white pine.

Used for interior finish of houses, for siding, for panels of carriages, for coffin boxes, pattern timber, and wooden ware. During scarcity of the better qualities of white pine, tulip wood has taken its place to some extent, particularly when very wide boards are required.[1]

It also has a reputation for being resistant to termites, and in the Upland South (and perhaps elsewhere) house and barn sills were often made of tulip poplar beams
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

mills

Dang, looks like fun. In a days time you can turn out a lot of board feet in poplar, especially if they are easily accessable to the landing. Makes you feel like you got something done. Now if the prices would just come back.

This fall based on where we sold them, we would get anywhere from .30 to .40 on the butt, and sometimes on the second if it was a good log. What are yall seeing over there?

Ed_K

I start a 10 acre tsi job tomorrow with tulip poplar on it.I'd never seen tulip before,doesn't grow here in northwest Ma.This acreage was logged 18-20 yrs ago with lots of black birch stems 20-25 ft tall and the poplar tops out over the birch.Going to favor the oak-poplar and better birch and kill all the witchhazel.Hate witchhazel what a weed  :( .
Ed K

smwwoody

Prices have been good locally last year on the poplar.  I am averaging .46/bf straight through on the poplar.  nice butts bring .65 down to .20 on the rough top logs.  9' and 18' plywood peelers are bringing $47.00/ton which is around .28/bf. 
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

loggah

In The book "TUMULT ON THE MOUNTIANS" by Roy Clarkson about logging in Virginia,west Virgina,there are pictures of yellow poplar 8'-10' thru on the stump, one looked as big as a redwood !! :o Don

Thank You Sponsors!