iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE GOAT DID IT! A brand spanking NEW WOODMIZER!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2018, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

You know, I read a new study recently. It was peer reviewed and in a prestigous academic journal. It stated that old goats don't prefer to learn new tricks, although they still can, unlike their incapable other furry friends...canine lupus familiaris(dogs). Bahaha!

But David, I'm with you here...I mean sort of. I've operated both the simple set on an lt35, and now accuset II on my super. For me and what I do, simple set would be just fine for me, at times I miss well...
It's simplicity, it sure beats a magnetic scale, that's for sure. If i was sawing a million feet per year with cants and dimensional lumber being yielded from the same log, it's not much of a decision. If it's straight dimensional lumber, or live edge through sawn slabs, simple set is just fine, and absolutely just as fast. With the lt35, I did 3500 feet in a day with me and one guy off bearing and running an excavator dropping logs on my mill, as fast as I could pull the clutch lever was as much thinking as needed to be done. We were sawing 2x4s and 1x10s ewp.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats right hunz.....thats what I've been trying yo tell these knot heads.  :D

I don't saw down to a cant. 95% of what I saw is 1 inch siding.
Barn siding is my bread and butter.
Recently I've been sawing a lot of 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12's.
Simple Set is all I need.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JB Griffin

Just yesterday I was sawing 4/4, 5/4, 8/4 lumber and 4x6, 6x8, 7x9, and 9 3/8x10 3/8 all out of the same logs. Try to keep up with all that with simple set.

You sawing straight lumber ain't the same as what I do.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 06, 2018, 11:34:30 PM

You sawing straight lumber ain't the same as what I do.

EXACTLY...now tell me you're sorry.  :D :D :D :D

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 06, 2018, 11:37:52 PM
I don't apologize to goats. :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D People would look at you funny!

JB Griffin

Accuset2 can be used like simple set. Kinda like 4wd, you don't use it all the time bit VERY nice to have.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I did not order the "fine adjust" outriggers. Is this gonna cause an uproar?  :D :D :D

JB Griffin

You bet your shiny little hooves it will. :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 06, 2018, 11:49:22 PM
You bet your shiny little hooves it will. :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D Here we go.........

4x4American

FAO's aren't all they'r cracked up to be.  Not really impressed with them.  Accuset II, it's all that it's cracked up to be  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

The big question is......did you at least get the Woodmizer hat?!?
:D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

Well I reckon even if it is a goat and he is doing enough to run 2 mills, must be doing something right.

I like to keep things simple, soo if one of them already has simple set, I would probably have done the same thing.
I know if the mill is going to be stationary most of the time, I sure wouldn't go with the fine adjust outriggers.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Stuart Caruk

I loved simple set on my LT35. I could cut boards of consistent thickness, rather than the typical thin and thick boards that I see other small bandmills make. I never figured anything more than simpleset would be needed. After all, I cut beams mostly, but I still make 4/4 and 8/4 from the excess material.

My new LX450 has Accuset, and if for nothing else than the ability to set the kerf, I'd be happy. But pattern mode lets me recover sideboards much easier, and reference mode lets me wander off while the head goes up to the top to load the next log. All the up down by hand with Setworks and waiting for the head to position is gone with Accuset. You simply set it and walk off while it goes to where it needs to be. Slick.

Congrats on your new mill by the way. Oh, and thanks for the video on reference mode. I didn't even know it existed..... it's way cool.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Nomad

Congrats on the new mill!  I ought to take a ride up that way one of these days and watch you put it through it's paces.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ga Mtn Man

David, I'm anxious to see your feedback on the production rate differences between the two mills. Having run the gas mill for as long as you have, I imagine the difference, or lack of, will be pretty obvious to you and I know you will give us the goats-honest truth on the matter.  Congrats on the new mill!   

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm anxious just to have an engine with power rather than skipping and smoking. Just wanna go home at the end of the day smiling.  :)

JB Griffin

That gas 40 will be for sale shortly.
My first mill had a 25hp kohler, my 40 has a 33hp kubota I'll never ever ever go back to gas.

Darrel

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 06, 2018, 11:44:35 PM
I did not order the "fine adjust" outriggers. Is this gonna cause an uproar?  :D :D :D

I'd just like jacks that never stuck up above the bed at any time so that I wouldn't have to dig holes in frozen ground to avoid sawing their silly little tops off. If FAO's never stick up above the bed, I want them, otherwise they wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

4x4American

Quote from: Darrel on January 07, 2018, 10:33:21 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 06, 2018, 11:44:35 PM

I'd just like jacks that never stuck up above the bed at any time so that I wouldn't have to dig holes in frozen ground to avoid sawing their silly little tops off. If FAO's never stick up above the bed, I want them, otherwise they wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me.

The FAO's dont stick above the bed.  But they have too much give to them and you constantly have to tighten them unless you order the locke for them (should be standard).  Plus, the far FAO at the tail of the mill will still stick above the bed and if you have the blade in line with it and slam into the back stop or have the mill cruising while you're stacking lumber you'll cut into it, done it before. 
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

Quote from: 4x4American on January 07, 2018, 11:05:48 AM
The FAO’s dont stick above the bed.  But they have too much give to them and you constantly have to tighten them unless you order the locke for them (should be standard).  Plus, the far FAO at the tail of the mill will still stick above the bed and if you have the blade in line with it and slam into the back stop or have the mill cruising while you’re stacking lumber you’ll cut into it, done it before.

That's interesting. The only way I could hit the far outrigger, even with it at full hight would be to hit the bumper so hard that something broke.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ga Mtn Man

I was thinking the same thing.  Perhaps the FAO's are larger than the standard outriggers, putting the rear one a little closer to the blade travel limit  ???.  Also, have you seen 4x4's videos?...he's a full-tilt kind of guy  :o.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

I thought it was "If you ain't the lead goat the view never changes." :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!