iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brand New Poulan Pro 18 takes off at start

Started by Boycedemery, February 01, 2017, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycedemery

I have a Brand New Poulan pro 18in 42cc chainsaw and I just got it yesterday. I fired it up and it takes off after it's started. I tried adjusting the idler screw and the low end screw but nothing seems to work. Is the saw getting too much fuel? Should I lean it out or richen it up? I'm new to this so any kinds of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Woodcutter_Mo

Is just idling somewhat high or is it actually like the throttle is pushed and reving high? As far as mixture goes, the low mixture screw might be too lean. Also pull the top cover and look at the carb and throttle mechanism, make sure everything is moving and returning like it should. If it has the high idle on the choke assemble, make sure it's snapping back once the throttle is actuated. And make sure the throttle lever is touching the idle speed screw when the throttle is released.
There are several videos on YouTube showing and explaining how to properly adjust the mixture screws, you might check those out.

Hopefully that helps, hopefully someone with experience with poulan saws will be able to help you further. Good luck

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

DelawhereJoe

You shouldn't have to mess with a new out of the box saw like that, if its causing problems already just take it back to the store explain the issue and get a new saw.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ladylake

Are you getting it off fast idle, you have to pull and release the throttle to do that after it starts..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawguy21

It sounds like it is running lean due to an air leak. I suggest returning it for exchange, it is really not worth the time to mess with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

George Zarifis

Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

dougand3

Another 1st time poster who never reports followup data.
I'm betting with Steve - he has high idle on and it's scary at first.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Ox

This is typical in today's society.  Get what you want, take what you want, then disappear.  Hopefully he comes back and shares what he found.  But, it's been 2 weeks.  ::)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

George Zarifis

That is sad indeed... I'm pretty sure he'll come back though. This forum is too good to visit only once.  smiley_horserider
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Thank You Sponsors!