iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log deck suggestions

Started by caveman, January 15, 2018, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

We need to build a log deck to improve efficiency.  We can build it out of steel or wood.  Our LT-28 does not have hydraulics so we would need to have arms on the deck that would fold down to load the mill and out of the way to turn and clamp.  Is 6' between the deck rails a good compromise width?

If any of you do not mind showing pictures of log decks I would really appreciate seeing them.  Also, any suggestions you have are also welcomed.
Thanks
Caveman

WDH

The one that I made for my LT15 was dirt simple. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats the mill Raider Bill cut his teeth on.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moodnacreek

While I don't have any plan for you I will say ; you need decks for everything [logs, lumber and slabs ] . I built my first lumber deck from a manure spreader , gear box and electric motor.

WV Sawmiller

Why 6'?

Sounds like a bit wide to me unless there are other overriding factors. I'd be more inclined to set up 3' or less unless there was something I am not seeing or hearing here. Shorter will make them lighter to move and stronger in support they provide. I bet 4-3' rails would be much stronger than 2-6' ones.

Just my opinion - remember free advice is worth what you paid for it (sometimes).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I built 2 stands that work well on my old 40. They are made pit pf 2x2 1/4'' wall tubing. Picture a T upside down with the upright 8'' taller that the height of your mill bed. then a 6' piece with ''hooks'' on one end that hook over where your log ramps would go on a manual 28 and the other end welded 8'' below the top of the upside down T. It catches boards that are shoved off the log when squaring and holds a log or 2 in waiting.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Gearbox

You could look at my deck on the BT6870 firewood processer . It is ran with a couple of 12 volt winches from HF . Turn one flange off the drum and put on a sprocket . On a flat deck it should pull a cord . On my 45 degree deck it will pull a half cord .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

I did not have a lot of room around my mill.
So I made a rolling log deck.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Quebecnewf

Here's mine with the last of our logs from last year .

The log deck is level with the mill of course . The two sticks reach from the deck to the mill. Lay them down , roll on your log , move them back out of the way , saw.

Could have them hinged but this seems to be fine. This way you always have a stick nearby if you need a quick pry .

Works for me

Quebecnewf

kelLOGg

I pull out steel ramps to connect the rollway to the mill and roll logs to the mill.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 15, 2018, 08:57:20 PM
Thats the mill Raider Bill cut his teeth on.  ;D

Yes it is  ;D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

I'm wearing that shirt today!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moodnacreek

On a log deck 2 strand is the easiest to hand roll because there are no center strands to get humped up on. I got knocked off my 4 strand deck this morning turning an oval log.

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 16, 2018, 02:22:50 AM
I did not have a lot of room around my mill.
So I made a rolling log deck.

I like that setup
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

caveman

Caveman

starmac

Kbeitz, I bet you could roll the logs much easier if you just had a couple of bunks on that deck trailer, instead of a full deck.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on January 17, 2018, 12:51:42 AM
Kbeitz, I bet you could roll the logs much easier if you just had a couple of bunks on that deck trailer, instead of a full deck.

Maybe but if they roll much easier I think I might get rolled over.
So far rolling the logs off to the mill has not been a problem.
I'm real happy with the way it works. After I took the pictures
I put swing out arms on the side to roll off the logs. I saves
a lot of time.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!