iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Depth gauge removal?

Started by Satamax, August 31, 2011, 12:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody!

This is a daft question.  I see thoses guys with chain mills strugle with the slow cutting of such contraptions. Would taking out the depth gauges on a new chain speed up the process at all? I'm not talking about the power it takes. Assume, there's infinite power on hand.

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

maple flats

I'm just guessing but my thought is that you would plug the chain by having too much volume in chip for the available space. You might get away with going slightly heavy but I'll bet there is a max that would work before things went south real quick.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

John Mc

It would probably interfere with the motion the chain makes through the cut. The cutting tooth actually "porpoises" through the cutting of each chip, and the proper depth gauge height helps to set up that motion.

Even if you have the power to drive it, the drive train is going to take quite a pounding from this. Also, the cutters will wear more quickly, and may be more prone to snapping off.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

You can not cut the rakers off, on less your going to cut ice.

You need a ripping chain, with every different wood your ripping , soft to hardwood, you change the cutter angle and raker depth, and make sure your getting proper oil to the bar.

I never did much ripping, theres guys on here that have a lot of experience on this topic.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

If you get to fooling around grinding the rakers off all you'll do is make a jerky chain .As such first off all it will beat the tar out of the sawyer. In addition beat the dickens out of the bar,clutch, rim sprocket ,bearings and seals and could break a crankshaft if you have enough power . Better off to just leave well enough alone .

Thank You Sponsors!