iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FINALLY! Some progress with the new shop.

Started by DR Buck, January 18, 2018, 09:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Quote from: flatrock58 on February 01, 2018, 09:51:00 PM
Nice shop.  I have been working on mine for about 18 months and finally got power last month.  It is amazing how long it takes one person to build a shop with grand kids and all the other stuff going on in life! 
I like the mini-split.  Was it shipped with the Freon in it?  I might have to look into that.

The mini split was designed for DIY.  The lines are connected on one end and pre-charged with R410.   Just mount the units and screw on the line set.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR Buck

Quote from: Larry on February 01, 2018, 07:39:45 PM
...... The trick is getting a good airtight seal on the ends of the panel where they meet the wall. 

Air tight will not be an issue.   The ceiling is already air tight.   5 1/2" thick closed cell foam panels cut and placed between roof trusses.  Then all the seams and edges were sealed with pro-spray foam to completely insulate with no air intrusion or heat loss.

DR Buck

Yesterday and today in addition to unpacking boxes I decided to try and clean up the rusted top on my table saw and jointer.   I didn't take any before pictures of the table saw because it's a vision I'd like to forget.   It's a thousand times better, but it will never again look like it did before the rust.   There are some stains that just wouldn't come out.   :'(    After cleaning the top I reassembled everything and made all of the necessary adjustments.   Maybe tomorrow I'll get power to it's location. 

After finishing the table saw I tackled the jointer.    I did take some "before" pictures.

These are the "after" pictures

I still need to do rust removal on the drill press, jig saw, and mortiser.    They're all a lot smaller and shouldn't take too long.

Kbeitz

Now put some of this on you'r saw top and it will stay nice...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DR Buck

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 06, 2018, 12:02:45 AM
Now put some of this on you'r saw top and it will stay nice...

I waxed them with paste wax and buffed them.

SlowJoeCrow

Nice job, they look good to me, I bet you feel a lot better.

Crusarius

DR Buck

Quote from: Crusarius on February 06, 2018, 08:17:26 AM
what did you use to clean them?

The stuff is called "Rust Free".   Sold on Amazon.    Spray it on and use orbital sander with Scotchbrite pad.    Then paste wax and buff.

DR Buck

Yesterday I got power connected to  table saw, jointer, planer, and dust collector.  Today I started connecting dust collection.   As of now I can operate table saw, planer, jointer, and miter saw without having to worry about saw dust.   

Ljohnsaw

Cool!  I see you did overhead power.  Are those twist lock plugs/sockets?  Weren't you planning on putting in a metal ceiling?  Looks like it might be tricky now. :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DR Buck

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 07, 2018, 07:48:44 PM
Cool!  I see you did overhead power.  Are those twist lock plugs/sockets?  Weren't you planning on putting in a metal ceiling?  Looks like it might be tricky now. :-\

They are twist lock on the power cords.   I'll just drop the power cords and dust collector lines down when I am ready to do the ceiling.    Should be fairly easy to do.   Just wire-nuts and screws.  ;D

Crusarius

I do not have much experience with metal ceiling but the few shops I have been in with them always seem louder. The do make peroforated metal panels that may be ok. But I think I would prefer drywall..

Thank You Sponsors!