iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

annoying debarker alarm.

Started by petefrom bearswamp, April 17, 2019, 07:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

When at Jakes (customsawer) last week, Robert (yellowhammer) mentioned that his new mill came with a warning light that blinks instead of the loud alarm, which by the way I cant hear with my ear muffs on anyway.
I am going to try modifying mine with an led 12v light.
I assume this will work but will report back.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

I really like the flashing yellow light.  I was talking to one of the WM guys and besides the pure annoyance of the beeper, he said the main reason they switched was that a deaf person (or one wearing hearing protection) can run a sawmill, but renders the warning useless.

However, most people who run a sawmill can see.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 17, 2019, 07:47:31 AM

However, most people who run a sawmill can see.
One would assume the same is true for folks who load a kiln too, but you know...   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I agree, a flashing yellow proximity alarm would be useful when a load of lumber threatens to beer can a kiln.

Since there's no pictures, it never, happened.  

Nope, I don't seem to recollect any such incident.... :D

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Southside

No pictures you say? Yo @K-Guy What say you?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

K-Guy

Robert your payment to keep the pictures secret hasn't come this month??  :D :)
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

Check is in the mail.... :D :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

terrifictimbersllc

So no chickens were harmed then, either?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

Put a LED light on today and it works, but am wondering if I can wire an automotive flasher in the line for flashing.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Mike W

Pete,

sure it would, good idea as well.  Flasher relay only acts as an intermediate interruption to the circuit without and noticeable additional draw to speak of in any way.  Like the idea, flashing light is much more noticeable then a solid light which after some time can easily go unnoticed.

Magicman

Google will find you a flashing LED.  I recently added them to the rear of my sawmill.

Edit:  not flashing, Strobe.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

you will need a flashing LED. A standard auto flasher needs a certain amp load to flash.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Nomad

Did you try calling WM and see if their new light can be retrofit to your mill?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Mine stopped working 5 min after I got the mill home.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I cut one of the wires going to the beeper and installed a small toggle switch!

When I have experienced offbearers, sometimes I will shut the beeper off, but if I have new people on the other side I leave it on!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

I have a flashing amber light on mine. Works better than the beaper. The beaper tends to make people draw to it because it is NOT indicating an implement in reverse. The light triggers an automatic CAUTION signal awareness.     
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

petefrom bearswamp

Bandmill where did you Get the light?
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Bandmill Bandit

From a local Ag hardware store called Peavy Mart. Any Ag equipment parts supplier should have something.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Something like one of these should work:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

I have noticed a lot of places have either muffled the back up alarms or shut them off completely 
 Way to laud  for my ears.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Magicman on April 19, 2019, 09:28:10 PM
Something like one of these should work:  LINK
Mine is basicly a 2 sided version of the one MM linked to above.
I'll get a part number when i am out where the mill is next week and post it. I think it cost me about 8 bucks CDN.

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks Lynn, ordered one and for 4.69 its cheap.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Tom the Sawyer

Wet Blanket Alert

Just for your consideration.  Worker's compensation laws in many states have a provision that any attempt to modify, remove, or deactivate, safety devices provided by the original manufacturer will disallow compensation or benefits to injured personnel.  I have heard of this being used to block compensation when lockouts were subverted, belt guards removed, even drivers of company vehicles not using seatbelts.  Even if you aren't under OHSA observation, your liability insurance company may have the same provisions.   :P
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Bandmill Bandit

Yes Tom that is an issue the one must consider. It was actually a OHSA safety inspector suggested a flashing light to me. He was on site one day and finally asked me what the reverse beeper was beeping for. I showed him and he said right away that it would be better to have a flashing light. I didn't need  any other encouragement because I hate that beeper  

Thank You Sponsors!