iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

KFPA Northeast Kansas Tour

Started by Kansas, March 04, 2008, 08:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

The Kansas Forest Products Association is hosting a tour of of several sawmill/pallet/tree farm sites in Notheast Kansas, with one trip over on the Missouri side. We will meet at Hewins sawmill in Wathena Kansas (301 S First Street)beween 9-9: 30. Then we will spend the morning at Simpsons Sawmill . They cut grade lumber, with a circle mill and carousel resaw system, plus kiln. After lunch, we will tour Walker pallet, and see an automated pallet system, heat treatment chamber, different pallets etc. We will then see Hewins sawmill, which cuts mostly grade walnut. At 3, weather permitting, those that want can go to a tree farm for felling demonstration, timberstand improvement, etc. This event is free for KFPA members, for non members, there is a 10.00 dollar charge which includes lunch, coffee and donuts in the morning. Please preregister if you can to help us with our transportation needs. Contact me here, or Carrie Cress at 620-794-2802, or you can call me at my mill at 785-456-8141.

Kansas

Oops.... Forgot the date... its Wensday, March 26th.

stonebroke

There are actually forests in Kansas? Just busting on you, my father is from western Kansas and there are not many trees less a forest out there. What kind of trees do people grow in eastern Kansas?

Stonebroke

Kansas

A lot of walnut logs leave kansas, both veneer and saw logs. At one time, I believe kansas was the 4th largest producer in veneer walnut. Not sure where it is now. In the central part of the state, you have walnut, bur oak, cottonwood, hackberry, ash. As you move east far enough, red oak, cherry, soft maple, also starts. Extreme eastern has true white oak and hard maple also appearing. Hickory is in the northern part of the state, pecan more in the southern. The big problem is a lack of infrastructure... few loggers, fewer mills. A lot of sawlogs go to missouri and iowa. Eastern red cedar is also all over eastern and central kansas, with virtually none of it harvested for logs. Thats too bad, because theres a lot of it becoming mature. No one to log it, no mills to buy it. A lot is cut and burned or chipped for mulch. In places,  the second generation cedar has really come into its own-very little ingrown bark, logs 14 and over inches in diameter at the small end and 20 plus feet, very small branches. We had one guy bring in load after load on a gooseneck trailer- a lot of 20-24 foot logs. We cut a lot of 10-12 inch boards out of those for siding for a house he was building. There is a lot of that clear across central kansas. Some of the best I have seen has been clear out in southcentral/southwest,  pratt area and on west. The timber isnt nearly as thick as missouri and other states, but theres still a lot of it along the creeks and rivers.

rockenbman

I live in southeastern kansas and im cutting large hedge,walnut,ash,hackberry,white oak
I love the smell of burnt fuel pouring out of my Jonesred early in the morning.

Thank You Sponsors!