iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nother cornbread recipe

Started by bd354, February 21, 2010, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bd354

Just tried a new cornbread recipe today and man was it good. I'm not much for hot and spicey food but this is worth trying.

One and a half cups selfrising corn meal
  2/3 cup veg oil
  1 cup buttermilk
  1 can Green Giant whole kernel Mexican corn (drained)
  1 med or large onion, diced
  jalapenos to taste
  1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine everything and pour enough in a 10" pan to cover the bottom. Sprinkle cheese over that and pour the rest of the mixture in. Bake at 350 to 400 for 25 to 30 min. DanG good!

Jasperfield

That's gonna' be good.

If you add a few chittlin's and eat that with a big slab of livermush you'll have it made.

pappy19

Here's my version:

Pappy's Mouthwatering Mexican Cornbread

1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking powder (mixed with milk)

2 eggs, well beaten

1 cup milk

1 8 oz. can of creamed corn

½ lb. grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup green onions, chopped fine

2 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine

¼ cup vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients except the cheese and the cooking oil in a large bowl.  Add ½ of the cheese.  Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet (about a number 9 or 10). Pour the hot oil over the mixture, stirring constantly, thus melting the cheese. Pour the mixture in the skillet.  Add the remaining cheese on top of the mixture by sprinkling evenly. Preheat the oven to 350 and cook for 40 minutes or test with a toothpick.

You may have to add a little cornmeal if the mix is too soupy, but don't get it too thick.

Another trick is after adding the oil to the mixture, add a little more oil into the skillet and then sprinkle a little cornmeal (about a tablespoon) into the skillet and "fry" it for a minute on top of the stove; then add the mixture. Put skillet immediately into the preheated oven. This will keep the cornbread from sticking.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

habaneroeater

cooked sausage in bite sized pieces and add it to your favorite corn bread mmmm breakfast with eggs

Chris Burchfield

I made my hushpuppies last night to go with the boiled peel'em and eat'ems and the garlic/olive oil/butter, cast iron pan seared sea scallops. Much like the orig. rec. above but without the cheese.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Raider Bill

Does anyone have a recipe for sweet corn fritters? There used to be a local place that made them with creamed corn inside, pan fried and lightly dusted with 10X sugar. Delish!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!