iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade sharpener

Started by ahlkey, July 11, 2009, 09:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I have a Norwood Sawmill and have been looking at both their standard and industrial blade sharpener.  In addition have taken a good look at the Woodmizer sharpener nearby, and the Cat Claw from Cooks where a local guy sharpens them for me.  Overall it appears that for the money that the Cooks sharpener and setter is the best quality.  Anyone have experience with these sharpeners?  Given I have the Norwood mill I would like to buy Norwood but most of the references are the highest on the Cat Claw from Cooks.   

beenthere

Suggest, as a forum member, supporting the sponsor of the forum if any question as to which one.
Haven't heard anyone complaining about the WM sharpener.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

At the risk of being branded a heritic, I have to say I prefer the Cooks. I'm comparing this to the older vintage WM that I have and no longer use. With the improvements to the newer models, the WM may be just as good. I have to use what I got.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Puffergas

I've had Cook's Cats Claw and setter for about 15 years.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Banjo picker

I have a Cooks its a good machine.  Sounds like from your comment you have already done the leg work.  You won't regret it.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kobraken

I also have the cooks machine.  Very heavy duty and easy to setup and use.  Only had mine for a few months but it makes sharpening easy.   Ken

kelLOGg

I have a Cook setter and Cat Claw sharpener and have been satisfied, but I have never tried anything else.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

I have a Cooks cats claw its built for the long haul and most parts can be found in a Graingers catalog.Its a heavy ridgid machine that will last a miller for a lifetime,with ample power very adaptable.I made a slight mod to sharpen 3" wide stellite tipped bands.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Joel Eisner

I have a Norwood sharpener with my LM2000 and it works just fine.  I saw mainly for myself and for the money you can't beat it.  I did buy mine lightly used from Stumpy when he switched to something different.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

ahlkey

Thanks for the response.   Anyone buy the band roller from Cooks?   I am having a little problem understanding if the band roller purchase is necessary and at an extra $800 it seems a lot?   Do you see the problem of diving or rising blades occurring often?   Thoughts?

Banjo picker

I have the band roller, and I have never put it on a stand yet....I check bands from time to time, and I haven't needed it....As has been alluded to in past post I think the problem with bands cupping is when people try to run a large band on a wheel that is really too small for it...It came with my mill package or I would not have it....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

robnrob2

A band will tend to take on the shape of the crown of an ALL metal band wheel much much faster  then a rubber belt insert band wheel if at all.

Banjo picker

Quote from: robnrob2 on July 13, 2009, 07:01:02 AM
A band will tend to take on the shape of the crown of an ALL metal band wheel much much faster  then a rubber belt insert band wheel if at all.

I have wore bands down to where I won't bother sharpening them again, and that just has not happened.  Tim

Handy Andy

I've never seen a Wright, but isn't that what Timber King sells?  There are some on Sawmill exchange. And a cook, and a woodmizer.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

ladylake

I've been running a Wright from Tk for 7 years now, it works great.  Around $1850 or so new.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Papa1stuff

Has anyone used the new CBN sharpener from Woodmizer?
If so ,how do you like it ?
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

LeeB

Go to page 2 of this board and look about 1/3 of the way down. There is a recent thread on the CBN sharpeners there.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,38207.0.html
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ely

i also have the cooks, and i got the package deal so it had the roller in it. i set it up and watched it gather dust for the first year. all the while thinking whats the purpose in that.

finally one day i found out. when you sharpen and set a band and it will not cut strait no matter what, just take if off and run it thru the roller. it made a believer out of me. i have only had about 8 bands that i was using go bad and have to be rolled so it is not really cost effective for me. but last year i purchased a box of bands that had to be rolled before we could even use them. thats where it paid off.

i usually will run 3 or 4 bands a year for customers that i sharpen for.

i would not take for any of my sharpening equip. all of it is cooks brand.

Papa1stuff

Thanks LeeB smiley_clapping

Percy

Quote from: Papa1stuff on July 15, 2009, 02:45:40 PM
Has anyone used the new CBN sharpener from Woodmizer?
If so ,how do you like it ?
I dont think I have the "new" WM CBN sharpener but rather an upgrade kit I installed about three years ago. It was one of the best things I purchased for my mill business. Blade sharpening is a breeze compared to the Drag sharpener method. Im on my second wheel which is rather costly but overall, I think it is a cheaper, faster way to sharpen blades with a much more consistant result. Whatever brand you choose to go with, Im sure will work fine.  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Papa1stuff

Thanks ,As I have a WM SH I amd leaning towards the CBN Sharpener ,But I like the Cook's two tooth setter!

gmmills

Percy,

The Shop Series ,new, CBN sharpener is identical to yours with the upgrade kit. The kit will not be offered here in the states.  You have to buy a new sharpener with the kit factory installed. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

pdhntr

Ahlkey,

Greetings.

Would you be interested in demonstrating your mill for me some time this summer?

I am interested in this type of mill and would like to get some first hand information.

I am located west of Park Falls.

You are welcome to email me.

Thanks.

Jim

It's not usually a good idea to post a personal email on a public forum.  While I know it is your decision to make I felt it prudent to take it off until I was sure you understood the ramifications.  There are people out there who search the forums for personall info.  Your email is already in your profile and semi-protected there even if it isn't 'hidden'.  A good way of passing personal info is in PM's or IM's.
Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

Thank You Sponsors!