iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stretching

Started by woodbowl, May 17, 2006, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

How many people do you know that take a little time to stretch the ole' body a bit? I honestly didn't realize just how benificial it is especially for this abused, wood sawing body of mine. I may not have discovered the fountain of youth, but in the past few years I've hit on a gold mine for me  and it sure feels good. I don't get real fancy or anything, I mainly just relax and let my muscles pull to the point of the mild sting and hold it for 20 or 30 seconds. Going beyond that has always ended up with me being sore the next day. I've tried a few yoga poses and it seems to find muscles I didn't know I had, but I can't get into that weired mental stuff.

I've been paying attention to my body a lot more since I hurt my back a few years ago and I've found that if I can stay reasonably stretched out, I will sleep better, feel good all day, I don't hurt or ach near as much, I'm in a better mood, have more energy, more alert, I sit and walk straighter, I get more work done in a day and am less tired, I've lost a little unwanted weight, it releases tension and stress .... I could go on and on.

I'm learning more and more about it even now. I felt icky a few years ago, the day after a too hard of a stretch and was surprised to learn that stretching releases toxins from the body and my blood was carrying too much of it at one time for me to be able to feel good that day.

I plan to limber on up slowly as I age and get some of the other benifits that I keep reading about. I'm wearing out and I can't run from it, but maybe I can keep some of what I've got for a little while longer.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

thecfarm

Yes,you are correct.Have you ever seen a dog get up?About the first thing my dog does is stretch and he stretches forward and than backwards.Unless there is a turkey out by the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

UNCLEBUCK

I chop wood everyday during 6 months of winter and the first 2 days I am winded and sore ,after that I dont feel good if I miss my half hour of stump splitting as it gives me a buzz on and makes me sleep good and feel good . That stretching sounds like a good thing .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

woodbowl

I guess me and thecfarm's puppy dog is the only ones that do a little stretching around here.  :-\  Surley it is one of the best kept secrets on the planet and probably should be added to the list of the great wonders of the world. With out it I would be in a heap of trouble. Here are a couple of links that gives more information.

http://www.ctds.info/neck-pain.html

http://www.walkablock.com/stretch.htm
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

I stretch my arms and shoulders and neck everyday. Without it I can't function at all.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

I stretch over and grab my beer  every evening, does that count?    ???   ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

breederman

Together we got this !

Bibbyman

I've taken up stretching while working at the mill.  I was thinking of posting some of the stretching moves I make while using the LT40 as a support.

This may be hard to believe but one of the biggest arguments Mary and I have is over who saws and who offbears.  She always prefers to offbear to sawing – even though we have the Command Control with AutoClutch.  Standing there all day, day after day, working the buttons and levers is for some reason a real killer to the joints.  (Setting on a stool does not help much or work well as you still have to lean out to check your clamp, read a face, etc.)

Anyway,  I've found that when I'm sawing a big log and have a few seconds when the blade is making a long cut,  I can do some stretches. 

On one pass I'll step to the side and put one foot on the HD box and lean way forward and lift myself up on the toes of the foot on the ground.  I'll repeat this action as long as I have time.  Then the next cut I'll switch to the other leg. I'll use the Command Control box to keep my balance.

I'll also step back from the console and rest both palms on the outside corners.  I push myself up on my toes and lean into the console and push away.  It's kind of like doing a pushup against a wall.

I have a lot of trouble (pain) with the right side of my neck. I've found that I can make and exaggerated reach above and behind me while bending my head back as if looking at the ceiling,  it'll sting for a bit but will reduce the pain in the long run.  I'll also join hands and reach behind my head and bend my neck and back backwards.  I'll push my arms up as if I'm poking at something on the ceiling directly over my head.  While doing this, I'll push myself up on my tip toes.  Try this about 10 reps and see if you don't feel something.

I'll also do some pretty standard twisting motions and other standing calisthenics.  I don't get very far but it helps a lot. 

I'm amazed at how much I can feel my muscles tone up and my joints limber up by just doing about 10 reps of each of these moves.  If I can remember to do it while sawing one big log in the morning and one in the afternoon,  I feel much better at the end of the day and better the start of the next day.

Mary is very limber. She does stretches every evening before going to bed.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!