iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

locust

Started by trapper, July 09, 2018, 11:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

stepson brought me some locust

n brought me 2 locust (dont know which variety)  to use as legs for an elevated deer stand.  11 in diameter at narrowest point  12 ft long,  I want the base of the box 6 feet of the ground. They are dead with the bark off but sound. If I split the pith how likely are they to warp?  I would like to split them and a small flat on one side to nail or screw to.  Also will a nailgun work on locust or will i have to drill and screw pine to locust?

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Has a nice Gray Patina. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

btulloh

Very uniform too.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

If it is like our black locust and dead will be real hard and I'd doubt the nailgun would penterate real well. I used locust on my 2 shooting houses/deer stands and mostly drilled and lag screwed th framing to them. I did not square off any sides.

I built a big pole barn for lumber storage and used locust for uprights and did square the sides for it. I drilled with 1/4" auger bit and nailed most of my framing up using 60 penny spikes. I did drive some 16 & 20 p nails in to hold the framing in place till I got the bigger spikes in. Most of those uprights were still green when used.

I did not split the pith and they will probably warp some but if I needed the extra poles and using plenty of stout framing I'd split them. Its just a deer stand after all. If you miss a big one you can always use that as an excuse. :D

Completed shed - 3 bays.

Also built a woodshed last year using 4 locust uprights which I squared first on nailing surfaces only.

Sides X3. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

nativewolf

Trapper, maybe me but I can't see the pictures nor do I see them in your gallery.  We are cutting locust this week (if our sawyers mill gets back to working) for a govt client, hope to do lots more.  We have orders for several poles, posts, cut posts, etc.  I'm a fan of locust.
Liking Walnut

Brad_bb

I don't see any pics either.  I wonder if he knows how to post on here?  It's not like other forums.  You have your own photo gallery on forestry forum and have to upload the pics to an album.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

LeeB

Pretty sure I've seen him post pictures before. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

trapper

couple more unrelated to follow
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

trapper

sawing for a doctor    friend with me is 79 and neighbor to doctor

trapper

new electric winch on mill  Yellow pail is waterproof storage for control and solenoid

OffGrid973

I like the waterproofing...stealing this idea as we speak.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!