iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stacking logs

Started by RogerJP, February 25, 2016, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerJP

I have 140 logs that are too frozen to cut, they have to be stacked for some time. They will be piled off the ground in a field, how high should they be piled? would it be best to just have the logs just side by side?  some are 100 inches in circumference, so they will take a long time to un thaw in a pile.  Covered or uncovered? thanks

madmari

Never had logs too frozen to cut. At the mill, they get sawed frozen, fresh...doesn't matter. The sawyer likes his blades ground for frozen wood, but either way the logs get sawed.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

RogerJP

My issue is we are using a chain saw mill and even with a skip tooth chain 2 guys can not cut the slabs off the top of the logs. We have tried for 9 days and are now just going to pile the logs and Waite to august to cut,out of time......

thecfarm

What kind are they? Will the bugs get at them? I myself would try for shade and covering them? Maybe tin,but no tarps or canvas. I think cutting the grass around them would help too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grassfed

What kind of wood is it? If it is anything that has a tendency to stain and stain would be a problem for the end use you should be very careful and maybe ask in the Sawmill or Drying and Processing forums.

Basically you want air to be able to circulate around the logs as much as possible. I would get them 6-8 inches off the ground and I would cover them on top with some old tin roof or boards but not wrap them with a tarp. You want them to breath but not let any extra water in the middle.

You might want to end seal them to keep them from splitting.   From years of storing round bale hay I can tell you that you should try to find some high ground that is well drained and has a bit of a crown.  These are just general ideas so take them for that.

If it is just softwood that is going to be used for dimensional lumber  all you need to do is keep them off the ground and you should be good for 6 months or more.
Mike

OntarioAl

RogerJP
If these logs are Spruce or Pine I would not be waiting till August to start sawing not unless you protect them from sawyer beetles.
Like others have said keep them about 6 inches off the ground let the air circulate around them and start sawing in May early June at the latest.
Al
Al Raman

Dan W

"Un thawed" logs remain frozen. Thawed logs are no longer frozen!!!!!😄😄😄

Puffergas

I'd put them in the pond. But some logs sink..
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

CX3

DanW actually thaw and unthaw mean the same thing. It's one of the great mysteries of the language. Google it.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Dan W

CX3:  You are absolutely correct!!!!  Thawing or unthawing mean the same.  🙄

CX3

Ya I searched that out one day....my wife says thaw...I'm an unthaw guy lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

deerguy

So have we determined what species these logs are ?? I've never seen one we couldn't cut on a chainsaw mill even in the dead of winter, so I'm extremely curious......very interesting post !!!

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!