iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got the jd 440

Started by RKH Logging, September 23, 2014, 04:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

I picked up the new skidder on sunday. And man do i love it. Its very easy to get in and out of, it turns around in tight spots great, its quite and runs great, great on fuel and no leaks at all. I should have went this route in the first place but live and learn. Ive pulled more wood in 3 days then i did all year with the clark. And the 440 fits in the garage which is a big bonus to me. I didnt take any pics yet ive been to busy skidding but i will take some within the next few days. I got lots of catching up to do now.

snowstorm

a 440 that dosent leak oil you better take a picture of that. they dont leak motor oil its the hydraulic oil that has a hard time staying where it should

Maine logger88

Quote from: snowstorm on September 23, 2014, 05:46:55 PM
a 440 that dosent leak oil you better take a picture of that. they dont leak motor oil its the hydraulic oil that has a hard time staying where it should
Hahaha 540,s too lol. Seriously tho I am glad you are happy with it should make you a nice machine!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

rockwall

Glad to hear you are so glad!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 23, 2014, 06:44:11 PM
Hahaha 540,s too lol. Seriously tho I am glad you are happy with it should make you a nice machine!
yup, i think every valve on mine leaks.......

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kodiakmac

HEEEE, Heeee, heeeeeeeeee.............

Thumbs up on that one!  My old buggy squirts so much hydraulic fluid that I think it has hydrauphilia!
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

haha. that with the leaking. my 540a leaked on about 10 places. I  went from one to the next. tooked a lot of hoses, seals, oring, retainers and working hours but i think i ll almost have her dry. Saluts from the sunny costa rica.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

thenorthman

Right blade cylinder (gland comes loose now and again)

left steer cylinder,

fluid send/return line at the tranny, (hard to get too... or impossible...)

something under the dash thats just going to have to live like that.

original fuel line when on a hill with a full tank, its been bypassed...

Winch leaks a bit

Front axle

I'm sure the back axle would leak too if I ever put some fluid in it...

And there is grease everywhere

Gees ya line em all up like that and its no wonder I go through so much fluid, in reality most of the leaks are more of a weep, just enough to give it that "wet" look, not many are full on pouring (that tranny hose is pretty bad, but its also really hard to get too)
well that didn't work

coxy

you know what happens when you go to them hard to find places it cost you more cause you have to fix more  :D :D

MJD

U-joint bolts would come loose on mine going to the rear, re-tighten twice a year or so.

redprospector

I'll give one word of warning on the oil leaks on a 440 (or any piece of equipment). Keep after them, get all of them fixed if at all possible (especially the hard to get to ones). Pressure wash your machine from time to time, and remove all of the debris from the belly pans.
I've had 2 fires in the belly of my 440 since I've had it. Thank God that both were put out before much damage was done. Both were fueled by debris, and oil in the belly pan.
It takes some time, and cost a little money, but is way cheaper than watching your skidder go up in smoke. And while you're in there you may find something else wrong that can be fixed then to save more down time.  8)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

treeslayer2003

yes and most fires are started by a chaffed battery cable.........any cable that looks iffy, replace it and route so it can't rub.........even put it inside rubber hose...........yes i have seen 15' flames coming out a skidder.....its bad.

lynde37avery

RKH how's that 440 working out for ya? Pulling 5 cords a day with it yet?
Detroit WHAT?

RKH Logging

Well i have been working non stop with the new skidder. I couldent be happier with it. I promised some pics so heres one. I pulled a few big oaks out with it last week it pulled real well for its size.

Maine logger88

Looks good! Glad it is working out well for you! Did you sell your Clark yet?

lopet

Way to go,  and it doesn't even look beat up. 8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Its working good, thats all that counts. If you where a little closer ive got a set of ice chains for the back I would give you, worn but would help.

Maine logger88

timberlinetree

Glad your glad with it! :D it's always nice to go to work with something you like. Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 29, 2014, 10:29:46 PM
Is that a 440 or 440A?
that looks to be an  a   from the picture with a b blade on it. thats a good thing. it has the cast wheel hubs. the  b  didnt

RKH Logging

I got ice chains for the back with it. Ive never had ice chains ive allways had 4 rings. So im looking forward to trying them out.

RKH Logging

I think its a 440 RD......... runs & drives....... but all jokes aside i think its just the 440 prior to the A. Ive had a few people tell me that but i could be wrong. Its a great little machine i have no complaints it pulls real well for the size and its great on fuel. But thier are a few things i need to know. Whats the lever for under the dash on the clutch housing for is it a hydrulic disconnect? And how do you grease the front craddle pins i guess i have to grease it right down at the pin cause i see no routed grease lines. And how do i check the winch fluid level?

BargeMonkey

Thats a 3325 winch ? Stand on the right hand side facing the winch, see a large top plug and a side plug. It should just run out of the side plug when full. I would pop the other side cover and check the pipe swivel connection, they tend to leak and wipe out a brake band. The drain is right below the other plus in the bottom, get a big piece of cardboard when you drain it, or it makes a mess.

Thank You Sponsors!