iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice Fishing

Started by bandmiller2, February 05, 2015, 08:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Jeez, I didn't realize there were so many parts to this forum. A problem when ice fishing and its real cold is the tip up shaft freezes and if you have a bite the flag won't go up. I sprayed my tip ups flat black  and face the tube to the sun. This has all but eliminated freeze ups. Also makes the rigs easy to spot in the snow and on ice. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

How's the fishing been going?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

My biggest adventure in ice fishing was when I was stationed in Alaska!

We caught mostly land-locked Salmon and Rainbow Trout!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

I really enjoy fishing the other three seasons but sitting with my butt froze to the ice doesn't do it for me. To each their own, it is very popular in most parts of Canada.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pabst79

What we use to keep the beaver dams from freezing in, is take plywood, cut it in 12"x12" squares and paint black, cut a little slot for your shaft and it will keep your hole open even if its 30 below, beaver dam and polar make foam ones but wood lasts longer. Also if you cut extras you can put one in the snow on end, put a little reflective tape on each side and then you can sit in your truck or shanty from quite a distance and keep track of your flags, It also keeps the pesky snowmobilers from running your tip ups over, thats always a bummer!  ;) :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Grizzly

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 05, 2015, 09:54:19 AM
I really enjoy fishing the other three seasons but sitting with my butt froze to the ice doesn't do it for me. To each their own, it is very popular in most parts of Canada.

Well what other choice do we have for 9 months of the year!!   :D :D :D  You must be in one of the pleasant zones of our great country.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

thecfarm

A ice shack will keep your butt warm.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

my house is warm and the store hasn't been out of fish when i go shopping ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

I you go ice fishing and it's really-really cold, take a piece of board with you to place on the ice and stand on.  It'll help you to keep your feet warm!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

If I go fishing and it's really cold, somebody needs to come find me because I have gone senile and wondered off.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Grizzly

Quote from: clww on February 05, 2015, 08:01:59 AM
"rishing"?

and this is just the side effect of drinking anti-freeze (beverages) while trying vainly to stay warm out there on the hard water!!   :D :D :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Bricklayer51

It has been 30 plus years since I been ice fishing but the guys I hunt with do a charity thing every year, so I am joining them. Tomorrow its a high of 6 with 20 mile a hour wind gusts to 31. I might do a lot of watching through the windshield.

coxy

cant say how the ice fishing was cause I was always ice drinking  ;D

Buckshot00

I like to fish so if I lived up north I'm pretty sure I would try it.

Bricklayer51

Went to the charity fishing tournament Saturday, the wind was blowing the snow so bad you could not see. We decided if it was not going to be fun why do it. The mi outofdoors truck was there so I will see more Thursday nite. In the newspaper this morning the winner of the jd gator caught a 6.8 oz perch.

drobertson

I was hoping to see some pics of the catch from some of you folks, not going to make it this year in time before the thaw to go, my son in law had a good day yesterday, some bass and this nice northern,

he said the ice is at 19" thick
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

YoungStump

Nice looking Northern!

I've been out a few times this year, gettin a few nice sized bluegill. Good eatin'  :)
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

drobertson

Quote from: YoungStump on February 22, 2015, 05:06:49 PM
Nice looking Northern!

I've been out a few times this year, gettin a few nice sized bluegill. Good eatin'  :)
No doubt knowing the seasons and limits are critical to a good plater!  eat well!

Thank You Sponsors!