iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Norwood LM29

Started by dirthawger, January 06, 2018, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirthawger

Got my sawmill and will be starting to put it together this evening.  I did have a question,  i know the lm36 can be turned into full hydraulic but is there anyway to do the same to an lm29 if i decided to?

Farm29

Congrats on the new mill ull enjoy it !  I can't help with you question but I always like the idea of having to assemble the Norwood mills when you get them.  You will know every nut and bolt on that mill before you ever make your first cut .  Have fun
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

thecfarm

Just want to say,you will like sawing!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

According to the Norwood website, you can add hydraulics to the HD36 but not the LM29.  Congrats on the new mill, you will love sawing your own lumber...nothing else like it!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

dirthawger

Oh yea can't wait but can't do any sawing until next week. My tractors in the shop getting a grapple installed.  One other thing is I've been looking everywhere for lumber prices,  everyone's been asking for prices and i can't find any answers for them. Where do i go to get a general idea?

WV Sawmiller

DH,

I periodically check the local box stores to see what they sell similar lumber for and I look at the local trader paper and observe what others offer sawmill lumber in my area. I do not use these to determine my prices as we are not truly comparing apples to apples and if others want to sell below production costs, so be it.

You need to determine your expenses and how much you want to pay yourself and base your prices on that. The big thing for us is to offer a specialty service in the type cuts we make, kind of wood we provide, convenience, environmentally/socially conscious, and personal touches such as saving a special tree for family memories.

Good luck. Take good care of that new mill and it will hold its value well if/when you decide to upgrade to a bigger one with the hydraulics you are interested in.

Farm29,

I've heard that advertisement about forcing you to learn everything about your mill during assembly. I disagree. I have said for many years I don't need to be able to build a car to be a decent driver. Different skills. I can see where it can be handy but not an absolute necessity. To each his own opinion.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

From all the research I was doing before deciding to build a mill I was under the impression that Norwood made all their mills and attachments backwards compatible? Am I wrong?

That was the main reason I almost bought a Norwood. But the $10k price tag scared me off.

Farm29

I agree that you do t have to know how to build a mill to be a good sawyer but in my opinion I do all of the work on my mill example I was losing blade tension on my lt40 a seal was out on one of the shafts so I ordered a new seal kit if I had assembled my mill I woulda already know the best way to remove the tensioner so I could work on it not a big deal  but if I had assembled it it would go quicker along with solving any other problems that might incurs along the way.  Like you said to each there own opinion and I respect that
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

dirthawger

We've been putting it together but i bought the trailer package but we can't find the instruction manual for it and there's no directions in the assembly manual that came with the sawmill are we just supposed to figure it out?

dirthawger

so if anyone has the manual for trailer let me know

thecfarm

I looked at one at a show,no idea what model. But what I liked,if you bought the barebone model,you could add the options later and it would not cost no more than if you bought all the options.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dirthawger

Yea seems like a great unit just can't believe they'd make a mistake like this

starmac

I would think the trailer part would be pretty straight forward, if it is a bolt together deal.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

TKehl

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 07, 2018, 09:21:41 AM
According to the Norwood website, you can add hydraulics to the HD36 but not the LM29. 

However, hydraulic functions can be fabricated.  Several threads on here about adding hydraulics to mills that were never intended to have them from the factory.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Darrel

I'm always glad to hear that someone acquired a mill. 

Congratulations! 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

pineywoods

Hydraulics on lm29...do-able. I have two neighbors who both have lm29's, sitting out in the weather. We have looked at adding the pineywoods hydraulics. Looks fairly simple and not that expensive,,
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cappy

First time post, long time watcher. I have the HD-36 Norwood and I couldn't be happier with Norwoods products. That said, I also had some questions about putting together different portions to my mill when I was building it. I contacted my sales rep and he was able to send over a fully detailed drawing on how to assemble that particular area I was having trouble with. They seem to be always willing to help. Just my 2 cents.

ChugiakTinkerer

Congratulations on your new mill!  It's time to start filling those pockets with sawdust.  And posting pictures!
Woodland Mills HM130

1countryboy

Call Norwood and you should get your answers.   Should have been instructions on the trailer package with the order.   Very important to get the axles in the correct spot, especially if you want to add hyd. to the unit later.  There are videos on utube  for basic construction of the mill.   

Norwood has a full time guy building a complete mill.   I have asked them when they will video a complete mill setup, basic to full hyd.  It is in the planning........have not seen it yet.
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

Saprern

Quote from: dirthawger on January 07, 2018, 03:47:01 PM
We've been putting it together but i bought the trailer package but we can't find the instruction manual for it and there's no directions in the assembly manual that came with the sawmill are we just supposed to figure it out?

I actually am having the same problem.  I had an LM29 with the trailer package delivered on Friday, and by Sunday I was at the point where I needed to assemble the trailer, but the instructions were not in box/bag 1 as they should be.  Not a total loss of a day - I assembled the saw head and straightened some not-so-plumb rails, but now I won't be sawing until next week. 
I'll call Norwood tomorrow and see if they can send me a copy tomorrow

Saprern

Quote from: Saprern on January 21, 2018, 05:11:56 PM
Quote from: dirthawger on January 07, 2018, 03:47:01 PM

I actually am having the same problem.  I had an LM29 with the trailer package delivered on Friday, and by Sunday I was at the point where I needed to assemble the trailer, but the instructions were not in box/bag 1 as they should be.  Not a total loss of a day - I assembled the saw head and straightened some not-so-plumb rails, but now I won't be sawing until next week. 
I'll call Norwood tomorrow and see if they can send me a copy tomorrow

OK, I did get the instructions from Norwood, so if anyone needs them, message me and I'll email them to you.

HOLTeam

Congrats on your new mill keep us posted with pics as you get it out together. Happy for you.

Thank You Sponsors!