iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about the U.P. of Michigan

Started by 47sawdust, February 20, 2016, 12:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

Why is it that the U.P. is part of Michigan when it shares such a large border with Wisconsin?
We just had a large map of the U.S.laminated and it is on our kitchen table under a clear vinyl sheet.My wife, who is geographically challenged, gets to look at it right side up,me,upside down.It is a cheap way to travel and I can imagine visiting various forum members without leaving home.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

The same might be asked why Alaska is not part of Canada. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Next you will be asking with the northern panhandle of Fla doesn't belong to Alabama or why WV or Oklahoma and such are shaped as is. (In some case I heard the surrounding states didn't want those areas).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DonT

Ok so I followed the link,read the article,may have actually learned something,but I am curious are the Michigan owned islands inhabited?

beenthere

Go to Google Map and zoom in on those Islands to see if there are roads and houses in satellite mode.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Michigan has hundreds of Islands. Many are inhabited, some are not.

pabst79

We spent a week traveling from Bayfield,WI to Mackinac area of the UP, almost like being in a different country yet only a few hours from home. Very scenic and unique part of the country. Hope too go back for a longer vacation in the near future!  8)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

WmFritz

I'm UP there this weekend in Seney (winter pop. 87). Some of the folks I've met this week are here snowmobiling from; NY, Penn, VT, NH, and Canada.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

47sawdust

beenthere,Thanks for the link.I think I get the picture.
Yeah,I think yoopers must be a different breed of cat and in this day and age that's a good thing.I was in the Army '66-'68 with a fella from Escanaba,he was the biggest rooster in the barracks,must of had 4 girl friends all at once.Still makes me smile to think of him.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

square1

Be sure to visit Boot Hill.  Story goes that Seney's main drag used to be a block south of where it is now.  The saloon at the west end of town was a rough place back when the area was being logged in the early 1900s.  Often fights would end in someone dieing. The body would be buried in the empty field across the street. 

Seney burned to the ground in the mid 1900s and most people left.  Those that stayed rebuilt the town where it stands today.  The people of the new Seney weren't aware of field across from the old saloon being a burial ground and it became the town dump.  Eventually in the late 1900s Seney was forced to clean up the dump and they started finding bodies (skeletal remains) of the long forgotten loggers buried there.  Simple white crosses mark the graves today.

Shotgun

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 20, 2016, 04:32:48 PM
I was in the Army '66-'68 with a fella from Escanaba....
I  lived in Escanaba from Oct. 1965 to Oct. 1972.  Maybe I knew the one that you speak about.  Small town.   :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

r.man

Shotgun, are you sure you were actually in Escanaba in 66-68?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Jeff

Who ya want him to check with to verify?  say_what 

Shotgun

Quote from: r.man on February 20, 2016, 06:42:17 PM
Shotgun, are you sure you were actually in Escanaba in 66-68?

Why do you ask?  Guess I miss your point.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

A good book with some stories about Seney and the logging days is "Ticket to Hell" by Roy Dodge.

gspren

Jeff, did you read the book "Indian Country" that mostly takes place in the UP?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WmFritz

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 20, 2016, 04:32:48 PM
Yeah,I think yoopers must be a different breed of cat and in this day and age that's a good thing.

Some of the friendliest and most generous folks you'll ever meet.

We're in the UP this week for a Memorial snowmobile ride. A family friend we lost last year loved this area, as we do, and about 50 people showed up to celebrate his life. When some of the residents found out what we were doing, they opened the town hall for us Saturday and they put on a very nice meal.  Some of the locals drug their sleds out and helped guide the run we did on Saturday too. Truly awesome people in this part of the world.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

millwright

Another oddity is Isle Royal , it is very close to Minnesota but belongs to Michigan

samandothers

Interesting read Beenthere.  Glad the question came up as I might not have learned this interesting information otherwise.  Was not part of my 4th grade Virginia history!   ;D

okmulch

I believe there was a show on the history channel. How the states got their shapes.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff on February 20, 2016, 02:14:23 PM
The same might be asked why Alaska is not part of Canada. :)
That is a fascinating story as well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chet

Quote from: millwright on February 21, 2016, 08:30:50 AM
Another oddity is Isle Royal , it is very close to Minnesota but belongs to Michigan

Not only is it about 15 miles to the Minnesota shoreline, it's also only about 15 miles to the Canadian border. The closest point on the Michigan mainland is 56 miles away, and dat's the big horn of da  Keweenaw Peninsula.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Just Me

Unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the bridge. Yes, I am a troll. But only by 30 miles! My business will keep me here because I like to eat, but I have come close a couple of times. Almost bought the Melstrand Store a few years ago, but with all of the little stores in the country going out of business well, didn't want to be the next.

Had a cabin in Sidnaw, love the west end. Have a lump on my head from 25 years ago climbing around in one of the copper mines, banged my head good. Love the history up there, and the bits and pieces of it that are still left.

I'm building a motorhome right now out of a Grumman bread truck so I can do a little more fishing up there on weekends as I am winding my business down a bit.

51cub

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 20, 2016, 02:48:17 PM
   Next you will be asking with the northern panhandle of Fla doesn't belong to Alabama or why WV or Oklahoma and such are shaped as is. (In some case I heard the surrounding states didn't want those areas).

I'd have to agree. When I was visiting in Texas, the people there said Oklahoma got the panhandle because Texas didn't want it either
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Thank You Sponsors!