iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Sign made from Eastern Red Cedar

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, June 02, 2013, 06:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

I am really loving this sign making activity. I try to stretch my skills with each and every one I do. This one is no exception. A combination of CNC and hand carving.

Here is may latest effort. Just finished this sign for a customer.   I hand carved all the accents around the border. He said he wanted it to look as if you were looking through a bunch of weeds and grasses and then saw the sign. Wanted the sign image framed by the grasses. I think I captured the intent. This still gets two more coats of clear and a couple of hangers and chain, then out the door to the customer.

Got another neat job for the CNC. Local guy wants me to cut parts out for 1/4 scale RC plane kits that his company sells out of 3/8 inch plywood. This could be nice source of income for me with machine.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now you're cooking with peanut oil. Looks great! smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thanks much fellows.  I am having a great time with this machine and learning more every day.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

sawmillhand

That is a great looking sign. i hope to add a cnc to my collection one day. ;D
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Sawmillhand

I love working with the CNC machine. Never appears to be any end to the things i can do with it. Tonight I just finished importing CAD files for wing braces and cockpit firewall bulkheads for 1/3 scale RC planes. These babies are huge, with wing spans of almost 10 feet and weighing over 30 pounds. A friend of mine has a nice side business using his laser to cut out balsa wood parts for a RC plane kit manufacturer, but thinks it would be easier to have me do the thicker 3/8 inch pieces on my cnc and has cut me in on the deal. He is supplying all the plywood to boot. All I am doing is cutting batches of parts for him. Very nice fill work to keep the machine busy and making money.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

woody329

Warbird

That turned out very nice.  Well done.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on June 02, 2013, 06:47:30 PM
Got another neat job for the CNC. Local guy wants me to cut parts out for 1/4 scale RC plane kits that his company sells out of 3/8 inch plywood. This could be nice source of income for me with machine.

It probably wouldn't ever come back to you, but be sure that these parts are right and that they will go together and make a plane.
I had a neighbor across the street some years ago, who started a whole side business just drawing plans for RC boats and planes because he bought plans and or kits of the Internet and tried to put them together and they wouldn't go. Parts didn't fit the parts they were suppose to and or they just weren't drawn right.

If the customer complains to the guy hiring you, then that's one thing but if the guy hiring you says your parts aren't cut right that's another.

I'm just offering some advice, and that is: make sure that it will go together correctly.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!