iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hates these meeses to pieces!!!

Started by beav, September 07, 2018, 10:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beav

I have heard that a very effective mouse trap can be crafted from a 5 gallon bucket and some water,etc.
Anyone have any experience or knowledge of such?
My cat doesn't get them like he used to.
Thanks in advance

Hilltop366

Yes, used one at a backwoods camp. 

1: Bucket.
2: Rope (string or wire is too small to for the mouse to get on easily)
3: Empty soda or beer can with hole in each end.
4: Peanut butter placed at centre of can so mice will have to reach for it.
5: Ramp so mice can get to the top of the bucket and on the rope.

Can be live trap or eternal swimming pool.

DelawhereJoe

A bucket or 1 gal pickle jar 1/2 full of water with sun flower seeds covering the surface of the water works well.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DDW_OR

I have heard to use old motor oil instead of water. prevents smell of rotten mouse.
"let the machines do the work"

tawilson

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 07, 2018, 12:27:22 PM
I have heard to use old motor oil instead of water. prevents smell of rotten mouse.
Hey, good idea. And it won't freeze. I was thinking antfreeze but old oil is free. My old antifreeze is all tied up in a half  barrel to put propane tanks in so they don't freeze up. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

DelawhereJoe

The antifreeze does keep them from decomposition it also strips the hair off of them if you leave them in there long enough. I haven't tried antifreeze with sun flowers on top.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Hilltop366

Please be careful that pets cannot access the bucket with antifreeze or the discarded mice.

No_Dude

Another one is simply a 5 gallon bucket filled part way w/ water, and then a layer of perlite. It appears solid to the mouse, and the perlite is buoyant enough to put some light bait on it such as sunflower seeds, so the mouse jumps down to get the seeds, and falls through the perlite and drowns. 

mike_belben

All you can eat at the High Dive Buffet.
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

I'll have to try the peralite or sunflower seeds.  Way simpler.  But where's the fun in that!  This is called the "walk the plank" trap.  How it works is a magnet hold the plank level.  The release pressure is adjusted by the wood screw under neath.  The washer is barely touching to not-touching the magnet.  The mouse walks up the ramp and goes out on the plank to get the peanut butter.  Once enough pressure, it drops - the mouse is unable to jump clear and down it goes!  The screw and washer provide enough counterbalance that the trap resets itself automatically.  I've had two poor swimmers one morning.  I cleaned out 5 mice in 4 days with one.

The pivot pin is a long, thin brad stuck in a hacksaw kerf.

I think I had to add a couple split shot in that hole you see next to the brass wood screw to get the balance correct.

If I make another it will be all out of plastic.  I've accidentally dropped it in the water a few times.  The wood swells up and it won't pivot until it drys up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

I use TV antifreeze at the cabin. Non toxic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

Your choice of bucket is also very important!  I use a well-used bucket (for mixing concrete products) for a trap and got one or two mice.  But then the peanut butter was getting cleaned off every night!  Night after night!  Driving me crazy.

One day I'm sitting by my shed sharpening my chainsaw and I hear a scratch-scratch.  I figure it is just the wind blowing a branch against the metal shed.  But its not that windy...  Start snooping around the back of the shed and finely find it.  I had a 5 gallon square jug with one of those pull-out short spouts.  It was sitting on its side with the spout up.  A curious mouse had look inside and fell.  He couldn't jump up to the spout to get out.

So, I dumped him in my plank trap.  He swims around a couple laps and CLIMBS up the tiny scratches in the bucket sides!  I replaced that bucket with a new, smooth one and continued to catch few more mice without the bait being stolen.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

lxskllr

I feed feral cats in the morning outside my house. So far, I've only had a blue jay wing turn up, but this will be the first mouse season I've been fully felinized. They hang around most of the day, but only get fed in the morning, so the hunting instinct should still be good. Gives me something to do anyway, and Fathead keeps the other toms off the property.

If a mouse gets in, me and my girl cat make a pretty good hunting team. She corrals the mouse, and I catch it live and take it for a long walk, or kill it in the process. If I leave the girl alone with it, she plays with it til it escapes, or I catch it after getting tired of hearing mouse screams  :^D

thecfarm

We use a board on a five gallon bucket,little bit than half full of water,with enough black oil sunflowers seeds to make it look "full" for the chipmucks at the hardware-grain store I work at. We can control the mice and rats,but not chipmucks. I have no idea how many we caught,20-30. Black oil sunflowers,need to add more in 3-4 days to keep the "full" look.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Quote from: Jeff on September 07, 2018, 04:44:13 PM
I use TV antifreeze at the cabin. Non toxic.
Dang Jeff - It's so cold up there you have to put antifreeze in the Television?  Wow...   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Cant have the flux capacitor icing up.
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

We have 2 at our ADK camp, PB on a beer or soda can and a ramp for easy access for the critters. 
one inside and one outside.
RV antifreeze in the water to keep smell down and help with freezing temps somewhat.
Have caught literally hundreds of mouses over the past 30 years at the camp.
We have found that the PB is gone on the outside one often, but strongly suspect one of our many red squirrels as the can gets crumpled.
The record is for the outside trap, 5 overnight last fall.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DDW_OR

the outside trap needs to be re-built to keep the larger critters from having a free PB meal

a lid on the bucket
a hole in the side of the bucket just large enough
a rod just below the hole, running from side to side for the can to spin on

DDW_OR

Greyhound

Just an empty buck works pretty good for me.  Whenever we leave on out for more than a couple of days, there will be dead mice it it.  I don't like to put any food for bait because it just keeps them alive longer before the die of dehydration/starvation.  Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!