iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

canopy bulk density?

Started by ashes, April 25, 2012, 04:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashes

Does anyone know anything about fire around here?

I have been looking for about an hour online to figure this out, but can't seem to find an answer. I know that with surface fuels higher bulk density reduces the rate of spread. My question is in terms of canopy bulk density. My guess is that higher CBD leads to a greater rate of spread because of the high surface area to volume in the canopy?

ashes

Ok I finally figured it out. I was right in case anyone that didn't know wanted to know :D

Man I really need to learn more about fire. It is really fascinating. I found tons of document that talked about cbd and spread, but never would say if spread increased or decreased with less cbd. ::)

Dang foresters talking to hear themselves talk, but not saying anything.
Just kidding

woodtroll

Hey I am glad you answered your own question.
I am not sure I under stand the original question anyway. :)

ashes

^^ha, the original question was does anyone know about fire. ;D
Ya, you're right I wasn't clear enough in the first post. That's ok though because I figured it out and learned something today.

SwampDonkey

We've had 178 fires so far, 600 acres burnt up. All of last year we lost 25 acres.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ashes

If you don't mind me asking, what is causing the spike this year. seems a little early for fire season up there. Was your winter bone dry?

SwampDonkey

Up until this week, we never had a lick of rain all spring. The snow back was also shallow. Back in March 2 feet of snow vanished in 5 days. Not a puddle of water. I was just out on a lot that was bone dry last Thursday and today water everywhere from 2" of rain we had Monday. Even the areas that pool up in the woods in spring time have water now. A lot of the fires where concentrated around one city, I suspect grass fires was the cause of 99% of the fires. The fire weather website did not give any details.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!