iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawtooth oak ?

Started by burtle, September 10, 2018, 11:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burtle

My dads having a tree cut down soon. A tree company today told him the tree is a sawtooth oak tree. I've never heard of it. Do you guys mill them? What are the boards good for? I've thought about keeping the logs and having them milled but I can't find much information about that type of oak. 
Never Give Up

Ianab

It's a type of White Oak, originally from China but now naturalised in some parts of the US. 

Can't see much about the lumber online, but if you have a good log, I'd say treat it like White Oak. The wood has a tendency to split, probably if dried too fast, like other White Oak species. Maybe quarter saw, and dry it slow?

Wikipedia suggests using it for fence boards, where it should be durable, and a few splits wont matter. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

burtle

ahh,

thank you. I was told it was part of the red oak family. It is decent size. I'll take a closer look at it when its cut down and decide if I want to deal with it or not. 
Never Give Up

WDH

The leaves have bristle like teeth.  This puts it into the red oak group.  Heavy acorn producer and was planted as a wildlife food source.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bobborneman

There are many, many varieties of oaks, of which most species are red oak, there are only a few white oak species.  A good way to tell a red oak from a white oak, is that the tip of the leaf on a red oak will have a little point/bristle on it.  White oaks have rounded leaf tips

Thank You Sponsors!