iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wrong place at the wrong time

Started by doctorb, August 04, 2023, 09:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

A very good friend of mine is 78, and has had his share of medical issues.  3-4 spine operations, partial paralysis which partially recovered.  Walked with a slow unsteady gait.  Anyway, was at his place in Canada this week walking to his neighbors's cabin, and the standing trunk of a dead tree fell on him.  Hit in head and back.  Unconscious. Wasn't moving his legs.  Scary stuff.  

Had emergency surgery to stabilize Thoracic fx.  Has a small bleed in his head. Neck fracture they will treat without surgery.   Still on ventilator.  But....moves his legs now!  Follows commands. We were convinced he would be a paraplegic for the rest of his days.  Will see how far back he can come.  It's a hard mountain to climb at 78.

Long story short....enjoy your days here as you never know when things can drastically change.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

A hard lesson I have been taught is when you get old it is easier to break stuff and harder to heal.  I don't see it getting any better.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

Just crazy to be walking along and almost get taken out.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

WOW.  good reminder.  hope for the best.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

A friend here is healing from a multiple tibia and fibula open compound fracture.  It was caused by a split ring tire change, the world knows about that split ring deal, but sometimes we wake up dumb.  He was lucky, different position and it would have broken his neck. k;Be careful out there.  

His quote: had an accident today and broke my leg very severely. I'm going to be OK. We are going to do the first surgery tonight, and hopefully start putting the pieces back together.
I was airing up a tire on the fertilizer distributor when something failed and the rim ruptured, causing what amounts to an explosion that miraculously only broke my leg. I'd been cradling that tire searching for a slow leak just moments prior. Had I been in that position, it would have absolutely killed me.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

I forgot to mention his broken ribs and sternum, as well as his mild pneumothorax.  Supposed to be extubated today.  When he awoke at the scene, he had no idea what had happened to himself.

Oddly, the top of this tree fell onto his cabin many years ago.  New roof and a couple of windows.  The trunk was about 25-30 feet high and more than 2-3 feet in diameter.  The wood was very "punky", which is why he's still alive, and also why the tree trunk fell.  Seems to me that this tree has had it in for him for some time.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!