iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hackberry sawing

Started by Southside, December 14, 2017, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Anyone ever saw or more importantly sell any hackberry?  What is it like?  Any advantage to QS?  I have a chance to pick up a pair of 30" ish hackberry logs if I want them.  Nice and clear on the sides I could see and the grain looks pretty tight.  One did have a decent check on one side but they are pretty fresh cut.  No visible stain or other issues.  They looked interesting to me, just not sure what to do with it, so input is appreciated.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wudman

Just beware of tramp metal.  Most of the hackberry I see in Central VA is growing around old house sites.  I've never sawed any. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WDH

It is in the elm family.  It has spiral grain like elm, sweetgum, and sycamore.  Flatsawn boards tend to warp and twist.  You could loose up to 40% of the boards because of this.  If you can quartersaw them, the boards will stay much flatter and your yield will increase significantly.  If you do quartersaw them, saw them 1 3/16" thick off the sawmill.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D6c

I sawed a couple of smaller logs the other day.  White wood with dark streaks.  I just flat sawed it but the few pieces that came out quarter sawed had what I thought was a more attractive grain.  The plain sawed boards weren't all that good looking in my opinion.  I cut some of it 5/4 x 5 1/2 and some 4/4 thinking I might use it for the lumber on a carry-all for the back of the tractor.  I don't know if it has any commercial value, other than perhaps pallet mat'l.

woodman58

I cut 9 logs a few years ago. I set them in the woods for a year to spalt them. I wish I would have left them for 2 years. They only spalted half way thru the length. They dried well with little degrade. You can look in my gallery for pics. You will get better money if it is spalted.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

paul case

I cut quite a bit of it from time to time but mainly goes into pallet material. I like to make my trailer cants from hackberry as it is tough and generally dries out real light for hardwood.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

killamplanes

X2 on pallet stock, we have better species for other uses..but the blade will glide right threw like sycamore
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

ToddsPoint

I recently salvaged a lot of walnut from a woods the pro loggers cut.  I was surprised they cut all the hackberry they could.  It must have some commercial use for them to take it.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

fishfighter

When I have my place select cut logging, sweet gum and hackberry, they just chip it up. Was told they sell it for OSB.

WDH

You best quartersaw it  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ButchC

I had a Hackberry log up on the mill last fall and one of the local Amish stopped by and asked what in the world I was going to do with it ???  I said I dont know? Barn boards?  He pointed over to the outdoor wood burner and said Youll get much more worth out of it throwing it in that thing.

I sawed  it up anyway, flat sawn,,  it will still burn.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

paul case

Quote from: ToddsPoint on December 15, 2017, 05:14:22 AM
I recently salvaged a lot of walnut from a woods the pro loggers cut.  I was surprised they cut all the hackberry they could.  It must have some commercial use for them to take it.  Gary

It is possible that some pallet makers search out hackberry just because it saws easy and nails good. The 3x4 market I have likes sycamore because they bore a 1.5''x2'' hole down in some pieces to hide the end of a bolt and the nut. Sycamore bores easy.
I bet that white wood looks good on pallets.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

This was for hobby/craft use, but it is pretty,
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Did that split?

Only good thing about a hackberry is in the winter when one goes coon hunting. DanG coons stack up in the trees for the berries. ;D In my younger days of coon hunting, many times my dogs treed up to 12 coons in one hackberry tree. :o

Magicman

If I remember correctly, they were 2ΒΌ" for benches, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Well, it's looking like this may become a "to be continued" thread in a year or so.  I am thinking maybe QS one now and set the other one in the spalt pile with a "Best after" cow tag on it. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Customasawyer and I quartersawed this one a few weeks ago.

Had some spalt in it and the pretty brown streaks.

Southside

That is quite pretty.  Any idea how long she sat around?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Probably at least 9 months, maybe a year.  It has fungal conks growing on it. 

upnut

A logger friend of mine likes hackberry for trailer decking and loading planks, light and tough, and bends without snapping.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Thank You Sponsors!