iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is it

Started by coxy, June 03, 2016, 06:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

normal to get leg and arm cramps when working when its supper hot  never had this before  I drink tons of water

sandsawmill14

you may need to eat some bananas or drink gatorade/powerade its most likely your potassium is low ??? i went through that week before last and was dehydrated as well they gave me 2 potassium pills per day and i feel like a different man :) water is the best to drink but if you dont eat good balanced meals several vitamins and minerals can get depleted and it seems the older i get the more it affects me :-\  hope you get to feeling better :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ianab

Yup, if you are actually working in the heat you need more than just water.

Those "sports" drinks are sort of a have, unless you are actually working and need the electrolytes. Then alternating water and Gatorade through the day can help.

There are other options of course, but if you are working hard enough to break into a sweat, then extra electrolytes will probably help.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Agreed, don't just drink, EAT!   digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ellmoe

I'm in Central Florida, I have had a little experience with heat and cramps! I eaten bananas, drank water and low calorie "sports" drinks (this is where Gatorade was created, after all ) and they helped. I still had bad cramps, though. I started taking magnesium this year and they have all but gone away. As" The Monkees " said, I'm a Believer.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

sandsawmill14

doc must be fishing ;D i thought he might have weighed in on this and gave us all some useful info :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ron Scott

Similar to what ellmoe said; I also find magnesium to be helpful.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

If you take magnesium, you want magnesium malate.  Usually its magnesium citrate, which doesn't absorb too well.  Other things that can effect it is calcium.  If its too low, you can cramp up, or if its too high you can cramp.  I've been dealing with cramps for a long time.  Finally getting it under control with magnesium, water, and eating a bit less cheese. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

It was suggested to me that I should get Gatorade concentrate, and mix it pretty stiff. I firmly believe that the more times you get dehydrated, the more susceptible you are to getting dehydrated again. I have a really low tolerance for working in hot weather.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red

Member Okrafarmer posted July 2 2014 Muscle Cramps lots of good ideas on that post
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

elk42

Get a blood test and see what your system needs and get prescription, then drink water and sports drinks. With 90° and 95° with 70%  humidity and also working in paper mills in places 110°15 min. work smiley_sick cool for 30 min I been there. smiley_devil_trident   
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

coxy

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 03, 2016, 07:13:50 AM
you may need to eat some bananas or drink gatorade/powerade its most likely your potassium is low ??? i went through that week before last and was dehydrated as well they gave me 2 potassium pills per day and i feel like a different man :) water is the best to drink but if you dont eat good balanced meals several vitamins and minerals can get depleted and it seems the older i get the more it affects me :-\  hope you get to feeling better :)
sorry for not posting was at hunting camp for our work/drunk party :D I cant/ wont drink Gatorade I was drinking 4 different kinds of it and broke out in vary vary bad hives and don't want to go through that again  after I had back surgery I had back/leg cramps  and was told to drink selzerwater with quine (don't know how it spelt) that worked like a charm but they don't put it in there anymore and really don't want to take any more pills if I can help it  ill try some of what every one posted about

ellmoe

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on June 04, 2016, 04:54:17 PM
If you take magnesium, you want magnesium malate.  Usually its magnesium citrate, which doesn't absorb too well.  Other things that can effect it is calcium.  If its too low, you can cramp up, or if its too high you can cramp.  I've been dealing with cramps for a long time.  Finally getting it under control with magnesium, water, and eating a bit less cheese.

I take Mag. Bisglycinate Chelate, also supposed to be easily absorbed. My wife buys it online from www.VivaLabs.com.
Good luck.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Carson-saws

electrolytes indeed,  yet "one mans fuel is another mans poison".just be careful in accordance to your metabolism.  Are you diabetic , hypo or hyperglycemic.  Very much like your mill your bod need fuel and the proper kind...like octane grades and such.  I am aware that most of the mills run generally the same HP but do any of you choose to run different octanes.  Inab hit it right and it is the "best way" to start out and see the results.  Of course unless ya pass out or something.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

FirewoodFactory

If cramping is a problem then definitely stay away from boozie..even after work. 

Beer was our energy drink of choice years ago and while it is good for that, there is more bad about it than there is good... besides intoxication, it WILL bring on cramps if you're prone to them.

My goodness, what used to go on....if you worked for my father then you were given shandys....I worked with some Swedes who provided their men with beer.  They'd take a few tall cans and climb the scaffolding and work away...on their sites, even when there wasn't a Cloud to be seen, water would fall from the sky. :P

Cozy, seltzer with quinine is called tonic water where I live....I love the stuff.

For the record:. I was reminiscing and don't condone drinking any amount while working...except for mowing the lawn at home... which I just did...during which I did.
I'm just a welder pretending to be a sawyer.

coxy

Quote from: FirewoodFactory on June 05, 2016, 10:40:14 PM
If cramping is a problem then definitely stay away from boozie..even after work. 

Beer was our energy drink of choice years ago and while it is good for that, there is more bad about it than there is good... besides intoxication, it WILL bring on cramps if you're prone to them.

My goodness, what used to go on....if you worked for my father then you were given shandys....I worked with some Swedes who provided their men with beer.  They'd take a few tall cans and climb the scaffolding and work away...on their sites, even when there wasn't a Cloud to be seen, water would fall from the sky. :P

Cozy, seltzer with quinine is called tonic water where I live....I love the stuff.

For the record:. I was reminiscing and don't condone drinking any amount while working...except for mowing the lawn at home... which I just did...during which I did.
welcome to the FF   seltzer water and tonic water is different here but the seltzer with quinine  did do the trick  1 16oz bottle a month cant seem to get the tonic water down  :) :)

Logger RK

I have discovered to much Old Milwaukee will give you skull cramps also 8)

Straightgrain

I may miss or double-tap something, but heat related injuries is something I dealt with for two decades...easy to save and loose a life....my apologies in advance.

Cramps, nausea, and dizziness are a leading indicators of heat exhaustion.

A proper diet definately goes a long way towards having all the nutrients in the body  (and ready) for use; "suffice to say" ....eat a healthy diet (less grease and fats) and lay off the sodas, booze, caffeine, & tobacco products before and during physical activities....+ on the salts and other minerals like potassium.

Stop to stretch, snack, and rest for 10 minutes every hour. Drink water regularly, not in bulk (get and use a camel back). 1 quart per half hour was the most extreme situation I dealt-with in the SE states. Long sleeve shirts help to prevent sweat evaporation.

When I was a Platoon Sergeant, I would pass out centrum vitamins (among other things like threats of the indignifying rectal IVs....) on the long marches (aka humps) to help keep my "Joes" on their feet...most young men seemed to be able to store more nutrient reserves in their bodies than would some men in their 40s ....+.

Foam or bubbles in clear urine can be an indicator of slight dehydration, yellow urine is definately a sign of dehydration. Drastic pulse fluctuations when going from sitting to standing.... can = dehydration.

A person who suddenly quits sweating can be going into heat stroke.

If need be, learn how to administer an IV and have ringers lactate and an IV kit nearby. Done correctly, an IV can save a life. In the most severe cases (collapsed veins) IVs can go "up" as an enema; water absorbs much faster through the intestinal walls.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Czech_Made

I like coconut water as source of potasium.

Weak beer was/is served at steel plants in my old country.

doctorb

As can be seen by the remedies and preventive solutions offered on this thread and the previous one on the same subject, there is no absolute answer here.  Certainly, the issue of good hydration and available electrolytes is part of it.  But there is no one equation to help each of us every day from cramps, and there's no perfect solution once they occur.  So drink a lot of fluids,  replace those electrolytes, and pay attention to your body when you're working hard in hot weather.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Carson-saws

doctorb..Well said Sir...pretty much sums it right up.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, FirewoodFactory.  Now tell us about your firewood factory.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

The only sure fire way to avoid dehydration and cramps is to stay inside by the AC and drink iced tea. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

FirewoodFactory

Hijacked content: Magicman, I have no firewood factory.  It's a joke where I work in a resaw mill and what can't be recovered is sold as firewood.    Sometimes I get a stack that makes me feel that way.

Relevant content:. As the season progresses one should adapt and not lose so much salt when they sweat.  Sure you lose it, but not like in the first weeks.  Persevere the perspiration pains!
I'm just a welder pretending to be a sawyer.

Thank You Sponsors!