iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log sealing concoction?

Started by Just Me, February 16, 2011, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I never got around to ordering sealer for the ash on my property, and tomorrow is a good day for me to cut it, so....

What is a good homemade concoction for sealing the ends of logs?

Thank, Larry

dutchman

When I started out the sawyer I worked with used a mix of
boiled linseed oil and paraffin.
Warm linseed in old paint can, melt in one slice of paraffin, mix
and paint log ends.

tyb525

I use old latex paint if I'm in a pinch.

Ash logs like to have shake or heart cracks in them though....and wax won't stop that, I've found.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CX3

Melt a ton of old candles in a metal bucket and paint the wax on the log with a paint brush.  Thats what I do when I seal logs or even board ends for my woodworking shop.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

WDH

Order some anchorseal tonight  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I got a 5 gal bucket over a year ago, I've coated many many logs and bowl blanks, and It's still more than 3/4 full. More than worth the $60 it cost me :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

My experience with paint was marginal.  Anchorseal is wonderful.  Of course you have to have some for it to be wonderful  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Just Me

Quote from: dutchman on February 16, 2011, 07:27:19 PM
When I started out the sawyer I worked with used a mix of
boiled linseed oil and paraffin.
Warm linseed in old paint can, melt in one slice of paraffin, mix
and paint log ends.

Thanks, I'll use this one.......

ely

i can tell you from experience, whatever concoction you use, keep it clean. if you are not going to recut the end of the log before you mill it, you should wirebrush the ends before you paint the logs.

if you are careless and get sand and trash in your brush you will pay for it with saw blades.

Just Me

I will do that.

We will be using my buddy's 1905 Corley to cut it up. He is going to teach me how to run the mill so I am excited about that! New experiances are getting harder to find all the time, looking forward to this one.

Thank You Sponsors!