iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have also seem much waste such as that when the log was bucked without regard to the cut list.  :-\  If the customer has a use for shorts, I will saw less than 8' but it is scaled as 8' or hourly rate.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer brought in a Norway maple and wanted some curved 2" planks and some curved 1" boards.
He got what he wanted and then some:

Dropped them twice while unloading the log, the second time was the worst. I hate when that happens.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Darrel

I hate it when that happens too!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Ended up bucking the monster long at 9' from the scale end and leaving the rest. Once I put a tape on it, I just laughed, it was 48" on the butt! Then to top it off, it had ring shake all the way through. We had quite a bit of was because of the ring shake, but also salvaged a lot of good 1x12, 1x8 and 1x4's.

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

That is whackin'-n-stackin'.  smiley_thumbsup

I agree about the butt.  If it doesn't make the cut list there is no reason to "rassle" with it. ::)  Because of the new 24" diameter limit here many logs are being jump butted and the butt left in the woods.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

24" limit? Have the industrial mills downsized again? Around here 28" is the magic number with a few exceptions. It breaks my heart to see some of the big logs going to pulp. There is a steam mill close by that still mills the big stuff though, they make beams up to 85' long. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Ianab

Stacking up the mystery cypress today. It's odd looking stuff with hundreds of "mini knots" all though it. That's OK, I will call it "character" and charge extra for it.  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Ianab on July 12, 2018, 01:49:58 AMStacking up the mystery cypress today. It's odd looking stuff with hundreds of "mini knots" all though it. That's OK, I will call it "character" and charge extra for it. 

That's some pretty cool looking material!!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

I once bought some White Pine that was covered with tiny pitch pockets.  I made some very interesting craft pieces.
Quote24" limit? Have the industrial mills downsized again? Around here 28" is the magic number with a few exceptions.
The log size is determined by the debarker.  The sawmills first reduced the acceptable log diameter to 26" and then to 24" so that no logs would get hung up and stop the log flow.  :-\

WDH

These big pine mills with the 24" limit are high speed mills that process about 12 logs per minute.  To them, it is all about production.  No grade or quality sawing.  Once sawn and dried, the high strength boards are sorted out using machines that measure for this.  What is left goes to the lumberyards and box stores. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

A customer called yesterday and said a truck is bringing a walnut log that would be delivered in about a half hour.   He wanted cut in 2" slabs.  He didn't care about length and I should buck it to length for best yield. 

It is pretty but I don't love it like some folks do.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Busysawyer

Sawyerted,  that walnut has abnormally thick sap wood from what I've milled. I'm new and only milled a couple thousand feet of walnut so far but I've haven't seen a log with that much sap. I've heard that it can vary from region to region. Pretty wood anyways. My favorite so far is cherry.  I also really like the look of sassafras. 
I milled some really nasty walnut logs today but they still turned out some decent boards. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Darrel

Knobby Pondarosa pine and nails.

I was cutting a 1x12 when I hit the nail and the blade started a steep assent so I raised the head and the blade came out of the can't in just under 9 inches.

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

SawyerTed

Quote from: Busybeaver on July 12, 2018, 07:41:10 PM
Sawyerted,  that walnut has abnormally thick sap wood from what I've milled. 
That's fairly typical for our area in trees less than 20 inches. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ToddsPoint

Where I live thick sap on walnut means a yard tree that has its roots in a sewer line.  Wide sap means extra fast growth.  Look at the growth rings.  I'd bet that tree is not that old for its dia.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Ianab

Yes, wide sap wood means the tree was growing fast in the years before it was cut down. The sap wood is what has been formed over the last 10 or so years. (Depends on the species). If the tree only laid on 1" of wood in the last ~10 years, then it only has 1" of sapwood. If it laid down 5" of new wood, then that's the width of the band. An old mature forest tree might only be growing slowly, hence its narrow sap. A yard tree with its roots in the sewer might be big in 20 years, but mostly sap wood.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawyerTed

Yep, yard tree that grew near a much larger walnut. 

WV Sawmiller

Got out late morning and sawed up 2 - 8' Norway spruce logs I have had on the lot 6-8 months I guess. I sawed the butt log last week and got 2 nice 4" thick mantels out of it. I sawed these 2 into 4/4 boards. Changed blade after first cut for a new sharp blade as I was getting waves. Sharp 4 degree blade + moderate speed + plenty of lube = nice cut. 

Not huge. Got about 123 bf out of them. A lady at a consignment shop where I have had some benches wants some 1X12's for crafts she makes and I figure she will get several of them.

First spruce log. About 14" SE.

2nd spruce log. About 11" SE.

Finished lumber. About 123 bf plus 2-1X6's & 2-1X8's from last log. Ready for stacking and stickering.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

olcowhand

I want to take a minute and wish you a Happy Birthday, Majicman.
I looked for you all over this site, but you must be making sawdust. I'll put this here because I know you are in this thread often......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WV Sawmiller

Ditto on the Happy Birthday Lynn.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

SawyerTed

Happy Birthday Lynn!  I hope you are celebrating somewhere cool and relaxing!

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

bags

Happy Birthday fella---

PA_Walnut

Crazy figure on this slab. Wish it hadn't gotten stained on the ends.(before I had custody).  :D 

Spent all day on a whack of big black oaks on my pile. RRQS for some joy!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!