iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading a 50 cal inline muzzle loader.

Started by Qweaver, November 27, 2016, 08:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

It's been years since I last hunted with my 50 cal muzzle loader.  I'm shooting 250 gr sabots and I can just not remember how many gr of powder pellets to load.  I use 50 gr pellets and I'm pretty sure that I loaded two.  I hate to waste sabots to find out. I plan to hunt in Ohio with the muzzleloader next week so I need to check the zero tomorrow.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

submarinesailor

Two is what I usually use.  But, I hardly ever see any deer over 50-80 yards.  My black power is rated for 3 pellets. 

Also, take a look at the new MZ Blue powder.  A lot easier to clean up after shooting.

Bruce

Gearbox

I load 120 GR of 777 loose behind a 230 GR sabot . with a scope I can hold a group at 100 yds .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WV Sawmiller

Sorry, I am way late seeing and responding to this. I use 2-50 grain pellets but suggest you pattern with your loads. As to the sabots I find shooting the ML much cheaper by buying 100 plastic sabots and a box of 44 caliber bullets to fit them. Much cheaper than buying the packs. If I'd ever get away from the convenience of pellets and just use loose powder would be even cheaper. My son changed the nipple on my Thunderhawk this year to use musket caps which are much bigger and hotter the #11 percussion caps which sometimes failed to ignite the powder.

I hope you had a good hunt. I'm debating on whether to go this week or not. I probably will.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Czech_Made

^^^ +1 on bullets

Or you can buy package in walmart - Hornady XTPs and sabots for $13 or so.  240 grain bullets.

I use loose 777 and only 85 grains shoots one inch group at 100 yards from my TC Omega.  One can of 777 lasts me many years.

DeerMeadowFarm

I use two 50 grain 777 pellets in my Omega. Works for me...

Carson-saws

Do't know much about the "new fangled" muzzle loaders simply because I shoot a 50 cal. Hawkin.  Maxi ball with 100 grain hunting load.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Kbeitz

I made this from scratch ... I use 70 grains per shot.
Works great. I also made a matching pistol.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

Interesting gun, what type ignition, trigger?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

maple flats

My Thompson Center 209-50 is rated for up to 3 -50 grain pellets, but I only use 2. I practice using 777 loose, but then switch to 50 gr. 777 pellets and verify on my last 3 shots. If all goes well, I then hunt with 2 50gr. 777 pellets and a Hornady load N Lock saboted bullet with the plastic tail to hold the pellets. The tail is long enough for 3x50 but I cut it using a sharp knife and then use just 2. I never lost a deer I hit with that load, in fact they rarely go more than 15-20 yds if at all. I like the 209 primers, see if your rifle can be changed to that (shotgun primers). Most inlines are made for the 209 and some come with the parts to convert from #11 caps to the 209. The 209's are hotter and hold up in rain/snow much better than the #11 or musket caps for that matter.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!