iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fence posts

Started by dancan, September 15, 2006, 07:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancan

anybody have info on fence post maker or something that can machine small trees to one size for use as posts ?

thurlow

I've got a 3-point hitch/tractor hydraulics driven post splitter;  at least I think I do;  I loaned it to a neighbor about 6 or 8 years ago and haven't seen it since.  It's just a glorified wood splitter; will split 8 ft posts using a 24 inch ram.  Takes 3 push blocks; extend ram/pull back and put in short push block/extend ram, etc.  It works great, but takes at LEAST  2 men to operate and 4 or 5 works better.  Haven't used it in a long time; when we started having to pay factory wages for farm labor, had to go to metal posts.  Couldn't afford to pay someone to set wood posts.  The posts of choice were black locust, although I've also used Eastern Red Cedar.  They were NOT all one size..............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

dancan

sorry i mean't round posts like realy big pencils

Ron Wenrich

Morbark makes a post debarker that can be used to make a round post.  Here's what it looks like:  http://www.morbark.com/Equipment/sawmill.aspx?id=4

There's also a few used ones for sale over at the Sawmill Exchange. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

solodan

Just wait  for a  truck full of posts to roll over. ;)

Last fall some truck driver made it over the Sonora Pass(which is 26% grade :o) with an overloaded truck of 6" poles. Well he made it about another 25 miles down the hill and got going about 90mph when the highway opens up and goes from 35mph speed limit to 65mph. I guess he was in a hurry after taking the short long route over the pass. Well he must have put 500 of them posts on the highway, and about 300 were gone when they got back to pick them up 2 weeks later. I saw lots of overloaded beater pickup trucks with poles in the back, those two weeks. ???

Thank You Sponsors!