iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Holland compact track loader skid steer repair questions

Started by ylekyote, March 19, 2016, 08:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ylekyote

I have a 2006 New Holland LT185.b or sometimes listed as LT185B skid steer compact track loader.  This machine has about 1,550 hours on it and has not been rebuilt at all, as far as I know.  I bought it from a shifty eyed dealer for $19,500 last year, with 1,350 hours on the meter.  It operated fine when I test operated it, but I did not have a chance to use a blade on it to use the front auxiliary hydraulics (my lesson learned).  This is my first machine and I bought it to maintain my small ranch in western CO.

Six problems:

1. It started making a grinding or clanking noise when going in reverse sometimes. I know the front right idler wheel is noisy and slightly loose acting so it's likely wearing out. It sounds/feels like the reverse noise may be on the right side as well.  And it seems to only do it if I go into reverse after spinning the machine in a tight area.

The same right hand track also loosens frequently so I have to refill the hydraulic grease tensioner on it every 40 hours or so.

I hope the noise is just the front idler wheel, maybe rear one too, but is the intermittent reverse noise sometimes anything else, like the drive motor, gears, or other more costly parts?

2.  When I operate my CAT grading blade the machine acts like it wants to stall when I use the tilt functions. It doesn't stall completely but acts like something is governing it while I tilt the blade to cut. One guy told me to turn off the high flow function but there does not seem to be that option to turn it off.  He thought maybe the high flow was trying to push to much oil through the blade, and said the blade doesn't need high flow volume.

My friend seems to think it's some kind of safety mechanism but I can't find references online or in the overpriced $400 near-useless manual I bought from a New Holland parts dealer to either suggestion.  Anyone else know cause or experienced this?

3.  The rig cranks and runs fine upon cold start but once it heats up it begins to have a miss and blows a little black smoke, as in unburnt fuel.  It does not burn/leak any motor oil at all.  Or any other motor fluids.  Archoil diesel fuel additive seems to help it not miss as frequently but it still does the smoking.  Archoil is very expensive and I don't want to use it forever.

Any ideas to cause?

4.  The hour meter reset at about 1,450 hours for no reason I know of.  I was in the middle of using it lightly when it did this.  It had no other abnormal electrical symptoms at the time.  It makes me wonder if the machine actually has 2,900-ish (or more) hours on it because it seemed (by cosmetic wear and tear) to have more than 1,350 hours on it (when purchase).  Dealer said it was a trade in from a friend he has that owns a gravel pit.  Anyone have this happen and fix it?

5.  The machine has high and low speed gears.  When I operate it in high gear for more than a 1,000 feet or so to move it around my ranch it blows a fuse for some reason.  So I usually leave it in low and it never blows the fuse.  Anyone else experience and solve this?

6. I loose about 3 quarts of hydraulic oil every 6-8 hours.  It ends up pooling in the bottom of the machine and leaking out of drains when I drive it around.  I'm wondering if the plastic reservoir that holds about 25 quarts is cracked or if there is a line connection/hose loose.  I haven't been able to identify the leak source because it gets so filthy under there.  I thought about putting a dye or something in the oil to try to isolate it but I haven't found any dye that will do this and react to black light or whatever.  Any suggestions?

Thanks much!  I've learned not to trust resale dealers and to completely run the machine for a couple of hours at least...next time.  I'm pretty sure he knew it had all these issues because the price seemed too good to be true at $19,500 and 1,350 hours.  All others were selling for upwards of $29,000 with similar hours and age.
Don't blame God.  He designed us with free will to choose.  The design works great when we work together with our children and grand kids in mind.  Short sightedness is not a virtue.

Magicman

No help but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ylekyote. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ylekyote

Thanks!  I was raised in Hattiesburg MS.  Military service introduced me to CO.  Here I am now for good I think.  But I miss southern hospitality for sure!
Don't blame God.  He designed us with free will to choose.  The design works great when we work together with our children and grand kids in mind.  Short sightedness is not a virtue.

Magicman

I spent many weeks at Camp Shelby.   :-\

Colorado is my favorite "go to" state and I have made over 30 trips there since 1973.  Adding your location to your profile helps with questions, etc.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ylekyote

So I have a small project to do before spring water starts flowing in two weeks but I'm going to order some parts to have ready for my right track problem after it's completed.  Hope to make it all the way through irrigation project and then rebuild it.  Please tell me if I'm missing anything, parts related to have ready.  Not sure if I have the nomenclature right so feel free to correct that also.

1.  1 track for right side (maybe a pair if I can afford it).

2. Front right idler

3. Rear right idler

4. Right tensioner wheel ?

5. Right track tensioner, or should I rebuild for cost purposes?

6. Lower bucket pins and bushings.  The bucket pins are not sloppy yet but if cheap enough can't hurt to have or change out if in the shop for the right carriage.

Thank You Sponsors!