iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canker Debate

Started by GATreeGrower, January 24, 2013, 03:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

I'm having a debate with somebody...they say canker pines in a stand can't infect the other pines...I disagree.  Can anybody help settle this?

Ianab

As it's a fungal disease it must spread from tree to tree. A tree simply can't become infected unless it's exposed to spores from a nearby infected tree.

QuotePitch canker has been recorded on species of pine (Pinus) and on Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). The causal fungus Fusarium circinatum was once considered a subspecies of Fusarium subglutinans and can be difficult to distinguish from this or other closely related species. The fungus requires a moist substrate for infection and can be spread by insects or water splash, and where host trees have been wounded by such things as insect attack, strong winds or pruning, can be spread by the wind. None of the known insect vectors are established in New Zealand.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/pine-pitch-canker

NZ forestry is 90% radiata pine, so that disease is one that makes the bio-security folks nervous.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GATreeGrower

A mighty thanks to you sir 8)

WDH

GAtreegrower,

In SYP, there is an alternate host arrangement.  The alternate host is oak.  Part of the fungus life cycle is to infect pine.  In the Spring, you can see the orange spores on the cankers.  These spores do not directly infect nearby pines, but rather infect oak, where they form fruiting bodies, and these spores in turn infect the pine.  So canker pines can infect other pines in the stand by forming spores that live on nearby oaks, which in turn then provide the infection vector to the neighbor of the canker pine already in the stand.  Kinda of a complicated arrangement.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

WDH, so ipso facto I am right?  Right on haha

WDH

I would agree that you are right in a round about way  :D :D.  It just takes a little time  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!