iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Little Longleafs

Started by GATreeGrower, February 20, 2013, 11:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

Planted these in April last year...they will sure grow in a sandhill :)

Clark

Nice pictures!  It looks like sandy beach right there.

Longleaf pine, in the stage you show, is so very odd to me I have a tough time wrapping my head around it.  Then I read "Looking for Longleaf: The Fall and Rise of an American Forest" and things truly became even stranger.  How exactly a tree can live on the site that LL does and live for several hundred years is beyond me.  It would be fun to go down and see longleaf management in action, especially this time of the year!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

GATreeGrower

I have that book :)  It is a great read. 

I have a little spot on top of a rock pile where there are dozens of longleaf that have to be 150-200 years old...still have catfaces on them.  Loggers can't get to it with machines and its too small to mess with, so it's gone virtually untouched except for turpentine.  The understory is dotted with little LL trees in various stages of growth.  I'll have to remember to take some pics next time I'm there.

RynSmith

Quote from: GATreeGrower on February 20, 2013, 01:27:27 PMI'll have to remember to take some pics next time I'm there.

Please do, I'd love to see that!  Do you know if there has ever been any fire through there?  I'd be curious to see what's in the understory too...   :)

sprucebunny

They are so cute when they're that size  :)

I've grown a few from seed in my living room here, and juvenile is my favorite. I have 2 that are 8-9 years old now and semi-bonsai...not as handsome.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

GATreeGrower

My guess is there hasn't been any fire in there for a long time.  Lots of briars and scrub.  We cut some of the catfaces they could get to about 12 years ago, which I guess brought on the seedlings.  Who knows how old they are, but they're growing on a pile of rocks.  :)

WDH

They have awesome taproots.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

customsawyer

One of the easiest ways to get them to jump out of this grass stage is to back a fire through there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Does not look like much of a fuel load on that site.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Heres some pics of the longleaf on the rockpile

WDH

That should burn very nicely.  Are you planning to burn it?

GATreeGrower

Id like to have you come look at it, WDH, if you want to.  I would like to restore the longleaf on this little piece. 

WDH

That would be great.  Send me a PM with directions.

Thank You Sponsors!