iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What tool am I asking for and where do I get it?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 29, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have seen these type of legs on benches a lot of times.

A wood worker takes.....Let's just say a 3 inch diameter limb. He or she needs to taper one end down so it will fit snuggly into a hole in a bench slab thus producing a leg. What kind/name of a tool is this and where do you get it? I think it fits into a drill.

Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

I believe you are looking for a drill mounted dual blade tenon cutter to shape the rustic furniture tenon and also will need a Forstner bit to drill the mortise hole.  Several of them on the market, here's a link to one.

http://loghomelinks.com/furn/tenon-cutters.htm

Hope this is what you are looking for,
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is EXACTLY what I was asking for.

Thanks Yellow Hammer.  smiley_thumbsup

fuzzybear

Lee Valley hardware also sells the tenon cutters and they are very good. I have a set for making diamond willow furniture this winter. Well worth the money if you are making one of a kind pieces.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

SwampDonkey

Lee Valley sells them to, they have a NY office I believe. They may be on the pricy side, never looked at them for some time. But they will be good quality. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

At first, I was going to say, a giant pencil sharpener. But yes, I want one of those in my stocking at Christmas time, too.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

That is rough use for a drill, so I would buy a very good quality cutter and not go cheap so that you get a good quality cut without killing yourself or the drill  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yup, hope you have at least 6 amp drill. I burnt up a 4 amp on dowels.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Busy Beaver Lumber

David

I have about 6 different sizes of them made by veritas and they work very well. If you cut the wood when it is green, it cuts a lot easier. Worst cutting is old dried out limbs which tend to chatter and vibrate when you cut them, but they still will cut.

As mentioned you will need a good beefy drill to go with the larger size cutters and preferably one with handles on both sides so you can get a good grip on the drill because you will be fighting some decent rotational torque with the larger size ones.

Next problem is clamping the piece you want to cut the tenon on. I like to use the Rockwell Jawhorse with log holding attachment. It gets a good grip on the round logs. I prefer to elevate my work pieces and work benches to a more comfortable working height. I mounted the Jawhorse onto T shaped assembly of 8 x 8 landscape ties with rubber mounter to their bottom to get the jawhorse up higher and to give it some counter weight for when i lean into it and cut a tenon on larger diameter stock. Without the weight of the landscape ties and the rubber, the jawhorse would slowly scoot across the floor.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Brad_bb

There are antique ones out there too, like on ebay and other places.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Delawhere Jack

Go Old School, use a draw knife or a spoke shave. You'll probably need one or the other to whittle the piece down small enough to use the tenon cutter anyway.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on October 24, 2012, 05:33:03 PM
Go Old School, use a draw knife or a spoke shave. You'll probably need one or the other to whittle the piece down small enough to use the tenon cutter anyway.

Good thought.  smiley_thumbsup

scouter Joe

I have 5 from Lee Valley and they work OK . A couple of years ago I bought 2 from Bosworth Tools and they are far better than the Veratis in my opinion . They are easier to line up and many times faster . They are more expensive though and unless you will be using them a lot they may not be for you . Goggle them and check them out . I really like the ones that I have . scouter Joe

POSTON WIDEHEAD

LeeB

I have the ones from Lee Valley and like them ok. I wouldn't think oftryingto use the bigger ones with a 3/8 drill. I use and old real beef 1/2" drill Black and decker from when BD used to be something. You can be limited to the size stick you are tennoning but you can start with a larger size tennon and recut with a smaller cutter. The biggest one I have will cut a 2" tennon on about a 3 3/4" stick. Then I take down smaller from there with smaller cutters if I need a smaller tennon.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

Another method is to use a bandsaw (shop bandsaw not your LT40 poston ;D), forstner bit and a holesaw. Use the holesaw to cut your tenon, then trim the waste off and make the taper with the bandsaw. Drill the mortise with the forstner bit. You have to do a little experimenting to find a hole saw and forstner that match up in size.
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on November 11, 2012, 11:32:16 PM
Another method is to use a bandsaw (shop bandsaw not your LT40 poston ;D), forstner bit and a holesaw. Use the holesaw to cut your tenon, then trim the waste off and make the taper with the bandsaw. Drill the mortise with the forstner bit. You have to do a little experimenting to find a hole saw and forstner that match up in size.

DanG BB......your idea sounds like it would work. :)

breederman

That's how I do it but I just use a belt sander to make the taper. If you don't look to hard it looks like you witteled it down. I think it looks more rustic.
Together we got this !

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: breederman on November 12, 2012, 06:40:26 PM
That's how I do it but I just use a belt sander to make the taper. If you don't look to hard it looks like you witteled it down. I think it looks more rustic.

Rustic....the MAGIC word. That's my whole point in building "stuff"....that rustic look. Good ideas guys!  smiley_thumbsup

breederman

I use a spade bit they match my hole saw for a perfect fit.
Together we got this !

YellowHammer

Poston,
What did you finally end up with?  Did you build anything with them? I was thinking of building some rustic furniture myself and am interested in what you decided was best
thanks,
Robert
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have not done anything yet Yellow Hammer. Deer season came in since this thread started and my wood working plans went right out the window.  :)

m wood

David, I key word searched "rustic furniture" and saw your recent cedar table, very nice!  but i also found this thread on the tenon cutters.  Did you ever consider them again.  Deer season is long gone(and i completely understand 8)).  I also have several different tennon sizes and a couple different cut profiles, very glad I invested...then I saw your explanation on the wood screws and gorilla glue for your cedar table legs. probly the only way with a 2" thick slab.  Just wondering if you "bought into" the expensive tool upgrade, or are hand cutting tenons?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Actually I'm not doing anything in the shop right now. We got a few days of pretty weather here and the logs have been coming into the mill left and right. I've been on the sawmill daily and getting ready to head out now.

That's the bad thing about being in love with so many things......sawing, building, hunting, fishing, golfing, etc.
Got to go where the most $$$$$ is. Golfing Sawmilling.  :D

m wood

I've been thinking the same thing!  Picking up the sawmill next weekend! talk about excited.  have fun today with yours :)
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB