iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved.....!!! An Interesting Tree You May or May Not Have Met

Started by WDH, August 01, 2007, 09:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

This one is not too common around here, but it is found throughout parts of the central and eastern US and well as East-Central Canada.

The bark stays relatively smooth with age with prominent white lenticles.

P.S.  Dodgy Loner is disqualified because he has taken seeds from this tree.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I just wish I had planted them before Dad threw them out :-\
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Aahh, a question very recently asked has been answered :-\. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I will have to buy you breakfast for that one, TR :).  Good Job 8).

Don K

I for one am a dendrodumologist and wonder what a common name for that tree might be that doesn't have a latin flavor about it. ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Dodgy Loner

It is a large hoptree, and WDH and I submitted it to the state champion trees list, as GA is currently lacking a hoptree champion.  Unfortunately, the 7" circumference did not meet the requirements to be defined as a "tree" (even though it was 25' tall, if I remember correctly), so it did not make the list.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Riles

A little fertilizer, a canteen of water whenever you pass ...

Grow your own state champs!
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SwampDonkey

Not to be cornfused with hop-hornbeam with it's papery hop-like sacs with a nut in each. Great for axe handles if ya have an uncle who likes to overshoot and hit with the handle instead of the blade.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!