iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery October fruiting shrub I.D? = Eastern Wahoo

Started by Celeriac, October 04, 2012, 01:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeriac

This fine thing is blooming in the fence row (Ohio in October) and I haven't had any luck trying to discern its identity. Any thoughts? Time to get out the saw and stump killer?
Thanks.
-Aaron

Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Texas Ranger

Don't think those are blooms, but the fruiting body.  We had those in Missouri, and I used to know them, but that was 50 years ago, and rust has inhibited my memory.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

I want to say strawberry bush, but not real sure.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Celeriac

Thanks! While not exact it did start me down the right trail. As near as I can determine it is Eastern Wahoo Euonymus atropurpureus. Looks like it's a native plant.
-Aaron
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."

Dodgy Loner

I believe that is correct, Celeriac. It's definitely a Euonymus
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

You nailed it, Celeriac.  The one we have here is called strawberry bush or catspaw, Euonymus americanus.  The stems are green, photosynthetic, and four angled.

TR, not bad for a rusty codger.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

In my opinion it's a Wahoo one of my favorite scrubs/trees in our woods
Bill

Celeriac

Quote from: Autocar on October 06, 2012, 07:34:58 PM
In my opinion it's a Wahoo one of my favorite scrubs/trees in our woods

Kinda strange to me as this is the first time I've noticed one and it's supposed to be native to Ohio. Apparently it is not too common in our neck of the woods. Something I read indicated it was more of a woodland plant which makes it doubly strange to be growing in an open fence row, other than the obvious part of a bird "seeding" it there.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."

SwampDonkey

Yes birds. One of the biggest proliferators of fleshy fruit carrying seed. ;D The line fence rows here are full of chokecherry, pin cherry, black cherry, mountain ash and dogwoods and can't forget apple trees. Also makes great spots to flush grouse for wing shots. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Celeriac

Here the fence row is more likely to sprout multiflora rose or mullberry.  :(
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."

WDH

At least you can saw mulberry, and it has a nice yellow heartwood  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!