iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln question

Started by D6c, February 06, 2018, 06:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Considering building a solar kiln similar to the Virginia Tech design.  Still in the design process but thinking of making the floor 8 x 16' with rear doors a little over 13'awide.

I'm thinking I might build it on skids so I can a) move it around if necessary, and b) so it isn't a permanent structure that will raise my property taxes.

Any down side to building it on skids?  I realize it would need to be anchored in case of strong winds and will need to be set on a flat surface to avoid twisting of the kiln.

I looked around today and found four osage trees that I think I can get at least 4 x 4 x 16' and maybe 6 x 6 x 16' skids out of.  I also have quite a few large black locusts that I could use for skids, but I'm not sure how they would last compared to the osage.

YellowHammer

I built mine on skids, so I can pull it forward like a sled, and also so I can get under it and lift it with my loader.  I have moved mine several times over the years with no problems.  Remember that it will be very heavy toward the doors, but that can be used to help stabilize on lifts. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ChugiakTinkerer

Your concern about anchoring seems wll founded.  You probably saw this, but it's still a good reminder:

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,93428.msg1439461.html#msg1439461
Woodland Mills HM130

scsmith42

I have four - all set directly on the ground (no skids but all floor framing is ground contact rated PT lumber).

Never anchored any of them.  Keep in mind that if you have 1000 bd ft of lumber in it - even if the lumber is dry it still weighs several thousand pounds.  As long as you keep your kiln filled, no needs to anchor.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jemclimber

Either black locust or osage orange will be fine for skids and will probably outlast the rest of the kiln. Either is as good or better than pressure treated, IMO.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!