iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar for husky 372

Started by DonT, November 30, 2007, 12:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

I am looking at purchasing a 36" bar for my 372,i found one at bailey's but it is a 0.063 and not the regular0.058 I am currently running.Both chains would be 3/8.my question is can i run this longer bar and chain combo on my husky without changing the sprocket?  Thanks DonT

SawTroll

Quote from: DonT on November 30, 2007, 12:35:20 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 36" bar for my 372,i found one at bailey's but it is a 0.063 and not the regular0.058 I am currently running.Both chains would be 3/8.my question is can i run this longer bar and chain combo on my husky without changing the sprocket?  Thanks DonT

Yes, you can - but a 36" bar on a 372xp is waaaayyyy too much........ :-X
Information collector.

Kevin

Don, the pitch is the same at 3/8" but the groove must match the drivers on all chains.
You couldn't run a .058 chain in a .063 bar groove.
If that's what you mean?  ???

DonT

Thanks Kevin.To clarify my post,I am looking at the larger bar with an 0.063groove and  a matching chain.I do not have a whole lot of use for a bar this large but I do run into the odd maple that i would like to make a little lighter for disposal.   DonT

Dale Hatfield

Don
The 372 wont have much if any power to run a 36 on it cutting full length. I like the saw had one of the first ones that came out years ago. Still have some of them. But a i run a 36 on a 394 and feel that it really would be better with a 30 inch bar.
I think that you will be unhappy  with that saw and bar combo in hardwood.
dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

sawguy21

I liken it to hooking a fifth wheel travel trailer to a 6 cylinder half ton. It will hook up, it can be done, just don't ask it to go far.
As has been said, changing the gauge will not affect the drive sprocket. The Husqvarna 365 and larger all use the same bar mount. You can use a shorter bar and work from both sides rather than over load your saw with that long (and expensive) one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

If I was going to run a 36" bar on a Husky 372, for chain I would go with 3/8 x .050 and full skip, 30 rcs, from Baileys with a matching (and much cheaper) sprocket nose .050 bar.

Cut4fun

If you are running a 8T rim with your short bars, I would switch to a 7T for your longer bar. I wouldn't go over a 28" myself on a stock 372, but if you are cutting softwoods have at it.
I put a 32" with skip on my MS361 once during testing cuts in softwoods and it did fine for the occasional cutting if had to.

TexasTimbers

I put the 36" bar that came with my 395XP on my 372xp with the modded muffler full skip. It did not like it. It cut withoiut bogging too bad but you coukdn't lay into it like I like to do. I agree it is too much bar for the 372 and the 372 is my favorite saw.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Captain

I think I staill have a GB 44" bar that will fit, .058 that I got on closeout.

Price is $88 and certainly 10% to the Forestry Forum.

Captain

TexasTimbers

28" is what i like to rujn on mine.

DonT

Thanks for the replies guy's.I do relize that this is a very large bar for this saw.It will probably see very little use.The reason i even considered it was a bar and chain of this size was cheaper than buying a new saw that would see little use.As I said i was hoping it would make the couple of cuts a year that i seem to run into.I usually run 18's on most of my saws and quite like them.   Thanks again

sawguy21

I had a customer request a 48" .404 bar for a 395XP, :o Well o.k. buddy, if that is what you really want go for it but you bought it you own it.

TexasTimbers

Sawguy a 395xp will handle a 48" bar no problem. Full comp. Stock. I ripped oak crotches with a 50" bar, 0° full comp 3/8. While I would like to have had more power it did the job without too much trouble. But I have never run .404 maybe you are saying that is asking too much from that saw? I would think it ought to handle cross cutting though.

Maybe there is alot more difference in the power needed to pull .404 than 3/8 than i can imagine.

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on December 01, 2007, 07:09:04 PM

That is a bit much as well, unless you use skip chain, imo...... ;)
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

Without the modded muffler it is definatley a little much but the extra ooomph I got from the opened muffler makes it acceptably mariginal most of the time.

In hardwoods that take most or all the bar, it is too much, and 24 is probably the max I should keep on it mod or no mod. So I would tend to agree with you even though I like to run the 28 because that 24 seems to be just a bit short alot of the times.

SawTroll

Quote from: SawTroll on December 09, 2007, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: TexasTimbers on December 01, 2007, 07:09:04 PM

That is a bit much as well, unless you use skip chain, imo...... ;)

Forgot to say, with a stock 372xp I would say that 20" is max with an 8-pin, and 24" with a 7-pin, unless you use skip chain.

16" and 8-pin is really cool!!!!!  8) 8) :D
Information collector.

sawguy21

The 24" is very common here on the 372 with full comp chain in softwoods although some run skip. We see little hardwood harvested commercially.

TexasTimbers

Mine handles a 24" like a dream.

minesmoria

I have a 372xp with  28" bar full skip with muffler mod, i  cut two to three foot round logs no problem.

I have 7 pin sproket!

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on December 14, 2007, 12:15:34 PM
Mine handles a 24" like a dream.

Sure it does, but I'd stay away from the 8-pin with a 24".... :)
Information collector.

JROBERTS

that saw will run a 28inch bar pretty good

sawguy21

The last post was 12 years ago. ;D BTW welcome aboard!

HuskyFan1977

Quote from: TexasTimbers on December 01, 2007, 02:19:47 PM
I put the 36" bar that came with my 395XP on my 372xp with the modded muffler full skip. It did not like it. It cut withoiut bogging too bad but you coukdn't lay into it like I like to do. I agree it is too much bar for the 372 and the 372 is my favorite saw.
I love your signature line TexasTimbers! SO TRUE! I used to live in Hurst Hills, TX. DFW area.
"When we fail, all is not lost, as we learned something we wouldn't otherwise know!!!"
"Tis' Better to try and fail, then to never try at all!!!"

Quotes by me

Jeff

Let us know if you get a response from texastimbers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!