iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are belt fed edgers better than rollers edgers?

Started by cnelson1, January 14, 2011, 11:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnelson1

I would like to buy a an edger this spring.  I am wondering if the newer belted edgers are a must or are there claims of straighter cuts over stated? Thank. Chris in CA
Chris in CA

Kansas

We have two edgers. One is a custom made Logmaster roller edger. The other is a belted Morgan edger. The Logmaster is fine when we use it as a gang edger, but doesn't work nearly as well when we use it for a grade edger. The Morgan is much better for precise cutting and a straight board. Course, it doesn't have the HP to set up as a gang edger. Others may have had a different experience. If you are doing grade cutting, personally I would go for a belted one.

Kansas

Maybe I should qualify that last statement. I am assuming you are looking for a smaller personal edger.

cnelson1

Thanks, very much for the response.  Yes, you are right, I will not be edging on a large scale.  I was thinking of a two blade portable edger that I would use in conjunction with my TK B20 mill. I am leaning toward a belted edger, but still hoping to here more pros and cons.  Thanks, Chris in CA
Chris in CA

boman1

I can't answer about the belt edgers. I can about the wood mizer ed 26 . I have used mine for a little over two years  daily use with no major breakdowns. It cuts straight,fast and accurately. I would recommend going with the diesel power .Good luck.

Kansas

Quote from: cnelson1 on January 14, 2011, 09:37:07 PM
Thanks, very much for the response.  Yes, you are right, I will not be edging on a large scale.  I was thinking of a two blade portable edger that I would use in conjunction with my TK B20 mill. I am leaning toward a belted edger, but still hoping to here more pros and cons.  Thanks, Chris in CA

We had a Timberking Talon edger some years ago. It was a great edger.

Thank You Sponsors!