iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problems with jonsered saws Not available

Started by jocco, January 19, 2012, 08:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jocco

In the past year the dealers are having a hard time getting saws and some parts. Backordered for a long time. Not just one dealer but quite a few. What is going on here? Doesn't seem to be just a one time thing or a week or two to get. :(
You may check out but you will never leave

Al_Smith

I've only ever worked on 3 J-reds in my life .A couple of 60 cc models and one 525 which is a 3 cuber .Oh they all did just fine it's just the fact they were never a popular model in these parts for some reason .

Now you might try Scott at Chainsawr ,a sponser here .He has lots of stuff that isn't listed on his web site .

weimedog

The Jonsered dealer who I've worked with has been quite responsive...even getting new pistons and the like for older Jonsereds. There is another west of me who also seems to have stuff available. What in particular are you having a hard time getting? The motor/carb type parts (not plastic) from the new saws are usually also the same as their Husqvarna counterparts.

One of the things I've seen locally is smaller dealers of all brands afraid to stock saws as they are nervous about the economy and don't want the over head. What is it you are looking for?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Corley5

Never a problem getting Jonsered parts here.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jocco

Let me clear this up its the dealers who have problem getting stuff from the supplier. Of course hard on customer.

weimedog

What in particular? Tilton seems to be very responsive to my dealer. I order stuff frequently. The only times I see issues are with new saws as the business year translates from one model year to the next as some dealers pre-order or buy a floor plans. Once that stock gets sold then its about what the distributors have left in their stock..between model years while the distributor is waiting on their shipments, if they have sold all their saws..they all have to wait.

There are new product offerings in the works as well..the Jonsered version of the 555/562 line is supposed to happen sometime..who knows when ..that's their 2260..(I will buy one BTW) Other product lines may be adjusted as a result..but that's all brands.

On really old stuff, things will go out of production, for example parts for the 630 series are getting hard to find...anywhere. But asking a J-red dealer to stock parts for a 25 year old product line isn't reasonable. Its like parts for a Husqvarna 262 or Stihl 032AV. Interestingly enough I find good aftermarket solutions to my Jonsered 820/920 habit and my 268/272/630/670 habit...and those are early 1980's saw!

I haven't heard or seen any issues to this point out side the norm for any brand, and I just bought a new Jonsered saw and continually rebuild older ones. So what in particular is the issue? Sometimes if a dealer is out of stock other dealers can help, what can"t you get? What dealer can't get his stuff? Sometimes there are other issues and that's the cover a dealer will use. Are you trying to buy something that is sold out? Are the dealers negotiation new floor plans for the year and your caught in the middle?

But without specifics these are just hypothetical conversations.

My bet if you need something there are several dealers who frequent this site who can help.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

beenthere

QuoteSometimes there are other issues and that's the cover a dealer will use.

That would be my first thought too. A dealer is trying to swing a customer over to a different brand that he/she is pushing. Company incentives are sometimes at play as well.

I get nervous dealing with a dealer that carries more than one brand. But just may be me. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weimedog

Quote from: beenthere on January 19, 2012, 02:17:22 PM
QuoteSometimes there are other issues and that's the cover a dealer will use.

That would be my first thought too. A dealer is trying to swing a customer over to a different brand that he/she is pushing. Company incentives are sometimes at play as well.

I get nervous dealing with a dealer that carries more than one brand. But just may be me. ;)

You bring up an excellent point. I was once in the motorcycle business...and watched dealers take on lines just to show they had perspective on all brands..and then based on the fact they "deal" and therefore know about all; use that credibility to bring customers over to their preferred line. I have experienced this with a Stihl/Husqvarna dealer who shows both then moves the customer to his preferred line at the expense of the other. Not uncommon is my bet.

jocco

For well over a year 2159 2171/2 have been hard to get. Many comon parts backorded for a long time. I think you must have a conection to the company and defending this. I agree on 25 year old parts and many dealers will not even look at those items. It is not one dealer as several were checked and results seem to be the same. I just don't get why a saw will be out for say 2 months???

Quote from: weimedog on January 19, 2012, 01:57:55 PM
What in particular? Tilton seems to be very responsive to my dealer. I order stuff frequently. The only times I see issues are with new saws as the business year translates from one model year to the next as some dealers pre-order or buy a floor plans. Once that stock gets sold then its about what the distributors have left in their stock..between model years while the distributor is waiting on their shipments, if they have sold all their saws..they all have to wait.

There are new product offerings in the works as well..the Jonsered version of the 555/562 line is supposed to happen sometime..who knows when ..that's their 2260..(I will buy one BTW) Other product lines may be adjusted as a result..but that's all brands.

On really old stuff, things will go out of production, for example parts for the 630 series are getting hard to find...anywhere. But asking a J-red dealer to stock parts for a 25 year old product line isn't reasonable. Its like parts for a Husqvarna 262 or Stihl 032AV. Interestingly enough I find good aftermarket solutions to my Jonsered 820/920 habit and my 268/272/630/670 habit...and those are early 1980's saw!

I haven't heard or seen any issues to this point out side the norm for any brand, and I just bought a new Jonsered saw and continually rebuild older ones. So what in particular is the issue? Sometimes if a dealer is out of stock other dealers can help, what can"t you get? What dealer can't get his stuff? Sometimes there are other issues and that's the cover a dealer will use. Are you trying to buy something that is sold out? Are the dealers negotiation new floor plans for the year and your caught in the middle?

But without specifics these are just hypothetical conversations.

My bet if you need something there are several dealers who frequent this site who can help.

Corley5

My Jonsered dealer has 2172s and 2159s on the shelf and in boxes.  If he doesn't have a part in stock he can have it the next day if needed.  He took off for a couple weeks in the sunny south but told me to call him with whatever I might need and he'll have it drop shipped to me. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowshoveler

I just checked availability of a clutch cover for a 372 today ( I work at a shop) and its out of stock in the Maritimes until mid March.
I had one in stock but wanted to use it and replace it.
Husky has had very high turnover in the last year or 2 and the new people have no idea about stock control,how could they.

Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

jocco

Can't say much about husky stuff but thats what i am talking about i could see it with one item occasinally but seems to be to often. If you were a shop why would you let inventory get down on items you sell a lot of and not get any for 2 months. My point for the distributor. :( Also if you sell 1000 same items per year why would you only order 500??? >:( and let therebe a lag in stock??

Quote from: snowshoveler on January 19, 2012, 06:49:54 PM
I just checked availability of a clutch cover for a 372 today ( I work at a shop) and its out of stock in the Maritimes until mid March.
I had one in stock but wanted to use it and replace it.
Husky has had very high turnover in the last year or 2 and the new people have no idea about stock control,how could they.

Chris

snowshoveler

I have more stock than any place in Nova Scotia.
I like it this way because i can't trust Husky/Jonsered to get me parts on time.
The 372 is not as popular here as it once was.(small wood and closing mills).
They used to have a 99% fill rate over night.Good luck with any of that now.
I can pretty much build any current pro saw from parts in stock.
I have pulled parts from new saws on the shelf to get some going that was working with their saw.
I don't usually do that for a homeowner saw.
You can only have so much inventory especially at tax time.
Here in Canada you pay a tax on it even though you paid when you bought it and will pay again when you sell it.
  Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

weimedog

I don't feel particularly connected...I just went down and bought the thing a few weeks ago...a 2172 BTW

weimedog

As the new model year start, I'm certain shipments arrive at the distributor and then get dispersed from there. I doubt there is an issue getting 2172's maybe 2171's as I think they are transitioning to the 2172 version. Also it wouldn't surprise me if the 2159's get scarce as they may be getting ready to release the 2260, the Jred version of the husqvarna 560XP. Just a guess. Wonder how long that entire chassis (359/357XP/2159) will be around after the release of the 555. 562/2260 saws... :P

weimedog

Quote from: snowshoveler on January 19, 2012, 07:33:32 PM

You can only have so much inventory especially at tax time.
Here in Canada you pay a tax on it even though you paid when you bought it and will pay again when you sell it.
  Chris

Bingo Bet your not the only dealer thinking that way. Especially in OBama-Nation. ::)

Spike60

I just love these threads that "suggest" some mysterious behind the scenes story, but are devoid of the facts to confirm the suggestion.  ::)

Only saw I know of currently on backorder is the 2166, and there is a container due by the end of the month. Only have 2 Jonsered parts on backorder; top spring mount for a 2054 and a top handle for a 2188.

Only extended saw backorders over the past year have been for model changovers as with the 2171/2172 and 2165/2166. And this was the same with their Husky counter parts. That same deal will be repeating itself as there will no doubt be a gap between the outgoing 2156/2159 and the arrival of the 2258/2260.

There were also some supply issues due to the Irene and Lee storms that battered the Northeast this past fall. This sort of thing happens with any major weather event. Could be saws, snow blowers, generators. Nothing out of the norm.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

jocco

You beat me to the punch on the storm thats all we heard last year: common how long do you use that as a crutch not a whole year??? >:( When are they going to the new models???

??
Quote from: Spike60 on January 20, 2012, 07:55:03 AM
I just love these threads that "suggest" some mysterious behind the scenes story, but are devoid of the facts to confirm the suggestion.  ::)

Only saw I know of currently on backorder is the 2166, and there is a container due by the end of the month. Only have 2 Jonsered parts on backorder; top spring mount for a 2054 and a top handle for a 2188.

Only extended saw backorders over the past year have been for model changovers as with the 2171/2172 and 2165/2166. And this was the same with their Husky counter parts. That same deal will be repeating itself as there will no doubt be a gap between the outgoing 2156/2159 and the arrival of the 2258/2260.

There were also some supply issues due to the Irene and Lee storms that battered the Northeast this past fall. This sort of thing happens with any major weather event. Could be saws, snow blowers, generators. Nothing out of the norm.

weimedog

Quote from: jocco on January 20, 2012, 10:11:04 AM
You beat me to the punch on the storm thats all we heard last year: common how long do you use that as a crutch not a whole year??? >:( When are they going to the new models???

??

I guess what I find interesting is we STILL don't know what it is user "jocco" can't get his hands on. A "here say issue" we would like the opportunity to solve...with NO specific situation to solve. So here we are, a few happy customers and a dealer type or two trying to solve a hypothetical problem with no actual issue to solve, After a while you begin to wonder if there is an actual issue the user in fact wants solved!....sounds like politics or competitive marketing to me; where someone throws a hay maker..misses,  thereby defining both the discussion and perception, then everyone trys to figure out what happened.. ???

So to try and bring this out of pride issue and back to actual issue...what is it you need and can't get? My bet is several here who have responded can help you ..if you would let them.

snowshoveler

Yes now there is a good idea.
What is the part that is hard to get...maybe we have some of them
in Canada or even at an other dealer not so far away.
  Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Spike60

Jocco; your post #17 shows that further effort on this thread will only be a waste of time, so this will be my final comment. Really only to clear this up for the other more level headed members.

Any shortages due to the storm 4 months ago, (not a year), are long since passed. It is not being used as, nor is there a need for a crutch.

Instead of using a saw, why not use your ax? You know, the ax you have a need to grind here.  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Cut4fun

Where there is a will there is a way. Use the time you are here complaining and use that time searching for parts.

I just redid a 2171 from  just a crankcase and p+Cc and I found everything I needed in the used market. Yes harder to find then a 372 but still possible.

shelbycharger400

seems odd.. my favorite saw dealer.. has 2 local shops ( buffalo and maple lake,  other day seen they are opening a new shop.. big lake, 15 min away from here) anyway. they sell echo, stihl , husky and johny saws.  I have got carb kits for the 1970's /1980's saws even the odd ball "c" tillotson carbs.  last week had them order 2 carb kits for a 630 and a 670, told them numbers on the carbs, both were missing the first letter, they asked if it had a letter in front of the numbers... i said no... they knew it was the same part.. and had ordered 2 sets of crank seals,  (thought one had them out..didnt need the seals. )   ordered on a tuesday.. had them in on friday, ordered from the johny factory they said. 

jocco

Spike no ax to grind and no need to get angry. Here is what happend 2159 is out of stock currently no ETA (2172 is back in stock) All last year dealer had trouble with 59 out of stock (many small dealers only stock 1 of each modle then reorder) NExt was a a polesaw and a bruchcutter unit took 1-2 months to get next was parts some simple items were out for a long time (not just a week or so. I JUST DON'T GET WHY INVENTORY GETS THAT LOW AND THEN TAKES THAT LONG TO GET IT??  aS FOR THE STORM: Seems like thats all we herd seems to me like a storm at sea would pass and in a couple weeks be back to normal (I was in the navy) Its like blamming a blizzard that happened 10 years ago for current conditions. Other dealers were out of 59's too as he called to xphre on in. HOPE THIS SETTLES THINGS DOWN A BIT.

Quote from: Spike60 on January 20, 2012, 02:10:48 PM
Jocco; your post #17 shows that further effort on this thread will only be a waste of time, so this will be my final comment. Really only to clear this up for the other more level headed members.

Any shortages due to the storm 4 months ago, (not a year), are long since passed. It is not being used as, nor is there a need for a crutch.

Instead of using a saw, why not use your ax? You know, the ax you have a need to grind here.  :D

jocco

i PUT A POST UP WITH DETAILS ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND NO NEED TO GET UPSET (HAVE YOUR DEALER CALL THE FACTORY ON THE 2159 SITUATION) ONE OF MY POINTS WAS ITS NOT A ONE TIME THING AS ONE DEALER SAID ITS ON GOING.

Quote from: weimedog on January 20, 2012, 10:38:01 AM
Quote from: jocco on January 20, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

??

I guess what I find interesting is we STILL don't know what it is user "jocco" can't get his hands on. A "here say issue" we would like the opportunity to solve...with NO specific situation to solve. So here we are, a few happy customers and a dealer type or two trying to solve a hypothetical problem with no actual issue to solve, After a while you begin to wonder if there is an actual issue the user in fact wants solved!....sounds like politics or competitive marketing to me; where someone throws a hay maker..misses,  thereby defining both the discussion and perception, then everyone trys to figure out what happened.. ???

So to try and bring this out of pride issue and back to actual issue...what is it you need and can't get? My bet is several here who have responded can help you ..if you would let them.

Thank You Sponsors!