iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pegs v store bought doweling

Started by Jno wood, April 30, 2018, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jno wood

I am sure there is a difference, but despite searching for information on this I can't find what it is. 

So what is the difference between oak Dowling you can buy and pegs?

Roger Nair

Run of the mill doweling are just cylinders of wood, that may not be made from straight grain stock nor is the wood graded for structural use.  The strongest oak is fast grown with wide annual rings and so is the same for other ring porous hardwoods.  Look for less than 8 rings per inch.  Pegs are generally shaped with taper, maybe octagonal or round.  Best peg stock is riven (to insure straight grain), graded and shaved to shape.  Every framer has their own opinion on optimal shape.  Some framers buy pegs from suppliers of handmade  or machine made pegs, or make their own.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Jno wood

Thanks - that makes sense. I guess it would be easy enough to make some octagon pegs up on the table saw. 

Brian_Weekley

It's preferable to rive the blanks rather than cutting them on a table saw.  Making pegs is pretty easy and I find it therapeutic.  Here's a good example:

Peg Making for Timber framing - YouTube
e aho laula

Jno wood

I would like to rive them, but I don't have the tools to do it. I have a cabinet making shop so I am using the tools I already have to build with. As this is a simple project with out much joinery I am able to get away with my standard tools so far.

You guys would get a good laugh out of how I am making joints as I am basically using convention cabinet making techniques and tools.

Thank You Sponsors!