iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cordless B-20

Started by redbeard, April 26, 2011, 02:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

With the expertise of Steve Geschwend and his automation skills that he has done on his Brand X swing mill, He helped me remove the cord reel completely and replace with remote control, a simple design using a wireless sensor wired to original switch in a new weather proof box, and reciever in a weatherproof box on the saw head. Wa-Laa! my B-20 is cordless! Hopefully he will pipe in for the technical questions alls i know is it works great and i can return the saw head as fast as i want and the setworks works great. Thanks Steve good job.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chuck White

Good to hear your project went well!

Kudo's to Steve!

Happy Birthday Redbeard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Good job RB, looks like a nice neat installiation and the best part is the setworks always work. Do you run a spring centered toggle or one that will stay in the up, down position? I rigged mine up with both and use the 3 postion one the most and the sping centered one for bumping it up or down a fraction. Next move would be a wireless remote throttle.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

And you got a Birthday present in the deal.  Happy 52nd.    smiley_beertoast
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Now that's a birthday present. Happy Birthday redbeard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sgschwend

It was a nice project.  Went quick with the two of us on it.  By the time Jeff had the two boxes mounted I had the wiring finished. 

The new hardware becomes inserted by cutting the cord reel wires at both ends and hooking the transmitter at the operator station and the receiver on the sawhead.  Only a 12V power wire was needed to be added.

LL, we continued the use of the factory momentary switch.

A second transmitter was setup so Jeff could run the setworks from other locations around the mill too.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

flip

Can you guys give me some info on this?  This is exactly what I am wanting to do with my B20.  Materials list??
TIA
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

bodagocreek2

I'm with flip.  I would also appreciate some info on that setup or where I could find out about it. Thanks

pineywoods

I hope you considered the possibility of outside interference affecting the wireless link. I didn't when I put wireless remote control on my wm lt40. Got knocked on my kiester by a runaway saw head. It now has some safety interlocks now.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dmartin

I too would like some more info on the modifacation that you made.
It looks like you guys have done a great job and I'm sure you will happy with the more reliable mill.
Also do you happen to have access to a wiring diagram of the mill, I have a 2001 model and would like to get a wiring diagram if possible.

sgschwend

You are certainly welcome to try this change.  I have been using these parts for over a year, the supplier tells me this is one of there high runners.  Here is a link to there web page:

http://www.electronickits.com/remote_control/rf4.htm

The board has a digital code to keep any other RF signals from making a false command.  

I order an extra transmitter that can be used as a backup or when you are walking around the mill.

The remainder of the parts I purchased from my local box store in the electrical section, waterproof box and a feed-through, the smaller box is a duplex (non waterproof).

NOTES:  
1) Some soldering is necessary in order to connect the B20's factory supplied switch.  The future plan is to provide a 12VDC connection for the transmitter, there are several easy ways to do this 1) battery packs, small charger, or a cable from the mills battery.  

2) There is a short delay from the time the switch is released and the relay switch opens.  

3)  I will try and come up with the wiring diagram.

Also the schematic for these mills is inside the factory cabinet.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bodagocreek2

Thank you Steve for the info. I will be checking into this mod soon.   Nic.

flip

Thank you very much!  Ordered the kit this AM, how did you wire the remote?

dmartin

Thanks for the information, I'll look the cover for the schematic.

pineywoods

This is the same place where I purchased the remote control system for my woodmizer. Good folks. I bought the 12 channel infrared version, only used 7 channels.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sgschwend

Here are the pictures of the back of the transmitter where you will need to solder the three wires from the control station switch.  There are multiple choices that you can make, you only need to make one connection.  The choices are marked with a black dot.

If you want to add auxiliary 12VDC the lower connections there are marked.  I think I soldered to the battery brackets, the time I did it.

I also use the soldering iron to heat up the bottom of the plastic holder (both sides) so that the wire can exit there.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

redbeard

I have really put it to the test this last week mostly sawing in the evenings and all day yesterday, Happy to report it has really worked out great!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

When good friends and a good idea come together, good things happen.   smiley_thumbsup

Congratulations !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flip

Any hicups in the setworks?  I have pretty much abandonded using mine because of the inconsistency.  Thought we had it fixed by adding another slip ring in the reel but it started messing up again after about 6 hours of sawing.  Can't wait to get this installed.

bodagocreek2

Redbeard - on the last picture of your original post, there is a yellow beacket. Looks like it could be for a auto type blade guide. Any info? thanks Nic

sgschwend

There is one effect when manually setting.  The remote switch has a minimum width which equates to a minimum manual setworks move of 1/4 to 3/8".

Presently I believe Jeff is using the setworks to set any exact setwork values.  I am looking into other options. 

Jeff tells me that he has made a big increase in his throughput because after the cut he can just hit the up switch and returns the sawhead using maximum reverse feed.  I have watch it run and it really can fly back fast!  The next computer controlled setwork value is achieved by a single down switch.

Steve

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

ladylake

I've always returned mine full speed with a cord reel, maybe needed to tighten up the spring a round or 2. I run my hyd engine around half throttle though, everything is plenty fast then , maybe at full throttle the reel might not keep up.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

flip

Quote from: sgschwend on May 02, 2011, 10:09:01 PM
There is one effect when manually setting.  The remote switch has a minimum width which equates to a minimum manual setworks move of 1/4 to 3/8".

Presently I believe Jeff is using the setworks to set any exact setwork values.  I am looking into other options. 

Jeff tells me that he has made a big increase in his throughput because after the cut he can just hit the up switch and returns the sawhead using maximum reverse feed.  I have watch it run and it really can fly back fast!  The next computer controlled setwork value is achieved by a single down switch.

Steve

When it is (was) working right I could set it for 1 1/8" 4/4, make my cut, bump it up a 1/4", bring the carriage back at full speed and then hold the down switch until the SW stopped it at the next cut.  When it is not working, when I bring the head back and hold the down switch it does not stop or stops waaaay past where the next cut shold have been.  All of my issues have come down to the cord reel and/or resistance issues with the slip rings.  I am all for getting rid of that stoopid cord reel.

redbeard

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on May 02, 2011, 12:55:04 PM
Redbeard - on the last picture of your original post, there is a yellow beacket. Looks like it could be for a auto type blade guide. Any info? thanks Nic
I believe you are inquiring about the de-barker its  the yellow aparatus shown in pic. It has a half moon gaurd around blade. and a bar in front of blade that keeps de-barker blade from digging in. Also i would like to say when i raise the head and return the head i go faster than i have been used to but not full speed. I don't want my off bearer getting nervous there hard to find. I have learned to set one of my setworks settings for 1/8 so i can get accurate control of the delay that the remote has, I think a manual switch on the saw head will be a faster way of doing it, that is mostly used when edging or making beams and such.

sgschwend

We are going to add a setwork control switch on the sawhead. 

Jeff sees this as a nice addition to the mill.  From what I understand he has had times that he uses a tape measure to a location on the mill's frame and it would be very handy to have a control switch near by. 

Certainly the extra RF transmitter would do the same thing; it becomes a case of personal preference and this is an easy addition (and will work harmoniously with the RF remote switching).
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!