iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White or Red?

Started by Ga Mtn Man, August 18, 2012, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Paul,

:D :D.

This same bottom had the State Champion Shumard Oak.  Sadly, it blew over in a storm.  There is also a State Champion Southern Shagbark Hickory.  This bottom is about 800 acres all told, and it has not been logged for half a century or more.  It was part of my Company's landbase, but now it is owned by the State.

Here is the poor Shumard and the Southern Shagbark Hickory.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

What's that, about 20 inches on the hickory? 24? I thought they would get bigger than that in a lush state like Georgia. . . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Way up here it's either northern red or bur oak in nature. But some have brought in other oaks for their yards, parks and streets. Most common white oak in towns here is the English white oak. It is not widely planted, but will be in a cemetery or house lot. Red oak is more widely planted in towns and more so in recent years then ever before. We have one forest company we thin for that has red oak at the top of the pecking order when we thin. We rarely get it unless on a lot next to settlement. Way out in the back country, won't see it ever. The St John River valley here holds most of the tree diversity up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Okra,

28" in DBH.  Southern Shagbark Hickory (Carya carolinae-septentrionalis) is different from the standard old Shagbark Hickory (Carya ovata) and Shellbark Hickory (Carya lacinosa).  It is not all that common, usually found on limestone ridges and calcium rich soils.

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/carya-compare-shag.htm 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 20, 2012, 08:45:55 PM
Okra,

28" in DBH.  Southern Shagbark Hickory (Carya carolinae-septentrionalis) is different from the standard old Shagbark Hickory (Carya ovata) and Shellbark Hickory (Carya lacinosa).  It is not all that common, usually found on limestone ridges and calcium rich soils.

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/carya-compare-shag.htm

:o   ???   :P  Aha--   ;) not in my book.   ::)  :'(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

I told you that it was not that common  :D.

Here is the book that you need.........

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Trees-Southeast-Identification-Guide/dp/0881928283

Okrafarmer

WDH

Maybe you can win one as a door prize at Woodstack 2012  :D.

Okrafarmer

8) 8) 8) 8)
Now there's an idea!

sandhills

Oh good grief!  Next will be the yearly support auctions for the annual woodstacks! :)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sandhills on August 20, 2012, 11:14:29 PM
Oh good grief!  Next will be the yearly support auctions for the annual woodstacks! :)

What's wrong with that? That's actually a very good idea.

sandhills

Absolutely nothing as long as I can figure out how to get there and join the fun, basically the same as the pigroast I guess  ;).  I hope you folks have a great time (not that there's any question of that happening).

gspren

That chestnut oak looks like what people around here often call rock oak, usually the trunks don't grow as straight as other oaks.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Okrafarmer

Around here they usually have at least one good log in the bottom, often more.

JohnW

There's a few trails in the Clark County Forestry here in Indiana with lots of Chestnut Oak, like every tree, seemingly.  As you say, not quite straight like many oak, but with a large base.  These Chestnutty trails are often high in the hills.  It makes me wonder how all these Chestnut Oak got to be there.  Like were they planted at the founding of the forestry in the early 1900's?  Or is that just the way forests tend to grow?  I suppose the rangers would know.

Okrafarmer

They are indeed an upland species. Just like there are some places that naturally come up to all Virginia Pine or some other species, I suppose some just naturally come up to Chestnut Oak. Or-- maybe they got planted there.

WDH

After eons and eons, that is what nature figured out would grow best there.

Thank You Sponsors!