iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cylinder gasket technique

Started by Canadiana, January 17, 2018, 08:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadiana

After agressively prying on the cylinder to get it loose, i found the base gasket heavily fused on to both the cylinder and crankcase. In some places it came right off the surfaces and in others it split the gasket in 2 and is still attached to both sides. So my question is: what are the prfered methods of removing stuck on gasket remnants? All tips will be appreciated  smiley_furious
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Canadiana

Different techniques for each side?

sawguy21

Stuff a rag in the opening and be patient with a scraper. You don't want to gouge the mating surface.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ZeroJunk

Canadiana

Can chemicals be used to help? Maybe a gasket sweller followed up with rubbing alcohol to remove residue. The wood chisel idea leaves me wondering how big a gouge is signifigant. I guess my carb driver is a bit rough

20ozjolt

I've used solvents on aluminum cylinder heads before with no issue.

Personally I use putty knifes to scrape gaskets off, could try a plastic putty knife...

20ozjolt

a chisel would be safe if you keep the flat side on the aluminum and keep it flat no gouge possible.

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

realzed

Most every auto parts of hardware store sells some form or make of gasket remover - Permatex is a good and probably most popular brand - little or no scraping or chance that the surfaces will get scored or scratched sufficiently to make resealing a problem..
But I'm sure acetone or paint remover or thinners probably would work too - just depends on whether the original gaskets were sealed with a gasket sealer or some type of RTV or were put on dry..

Al_Smith

With a good gasket there should be no reason to use additional gasket sealer .Maybe a tiny little dab where the case halves meet .It's not like you are sealing 150 PSI steam pressure or something .Maybe 15 PSI .

Thank You Sponsors!