iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562XP Upgrades 2015.

Started by HolmenTree, September 16, 2015, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawTroll

Oddly, the 2260 IPL still list the -01 and -02 drums.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Btw, The 560xp comes standard with a small spline .325 setup in Europe, and it isn't really common to convert to 3/8".
Information collector.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 12:12:51 PM
Chris,
I always use 40:1 mix and mercilessly keep my chains sharp. Probably why I'm  having good service out of the 562, never had it checked and upgraded by the dealership either.
Don't know about the rev limiter as I never noticed it, Rev boost does everything for me I need.
I like the .325 chain as it's  close in cutter size to the 76LG I've run. But I only  have  a few loops of the long discontinued 76 chain but have lots of .325
Only trouble gearing is limited with the 9 pin rim as that's  the only .325 rim sprocket that will fit the 562's standard 7 spline clutch drum.
Can a 560 or Jonsered equivalent  small 7 spline clutch setup fit a 562XP ?

Bob,
Thanks, I got lots of shop time lately as we're  getting lots of rain.

I was referring to the boring mod videos everyone's making on YT, not yours and Walts...you guys do it right.
I may try larger holes later but so far happy. As I said to Chris I'd  like to try other smaller .325 rims but the 562 standard 7 spline drum only allows a 9 pin rim which is a tad larger then a 8 pin 3/8.
Do 560 or Jonsered equivalent  small 7 spline clutch setups exchange with the 562?

I don't think even I can make a video for 15 minutes or so on the simple but effective muffler mod as defined by Holman Tree! It reminds me...physics really doesn't change although the methods used to convey a message has over time.

AND much of what many currently are trying to accomplish with modifications has been a practice for a very long time in the performance community. I remember a few years back getting an article about building a big Jonsered .. for competition. From Holman Tree. AND it strikes me every time I see a "new" video or thread on complex mods, how the goal ultimately is to achieve something similar with physics of their system working compression/squish band/ etc. as is articulated in that 1970's era article. Of course in that build there was a significant amount of machine work, especially relative to the combustion chamber. Bottom line. Physics is physics. And some have literally seen it all...

And its nice to see nice effective simple modifications that make improvements WITHOUT machining... mods that can be done with simple hand tools.  :P
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

mcourtney

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 01:58:18 AM
Quote from: mcourtney on September 17, 2015, 01:34:17 AM
HolmenTree , I sure like your little Norwegian flag keychain fob! Would love to find one of the Danish flag.
Thanks mcourtney , my Aunt from Oslo gave me that key fob 30 years ago. I think of it as a good luck charm.
Are you in Minnesota as I notice Pomme de Terre on your avatar?

No I'm in Missouri but I recognized the flag as one of the Scandinavian flags , common heritage I suppose.

nitehawk55

Whew ! , glad you clarified that Willard , I didn't think you would but your pics looked like you had done it bolted to the saw :D

Going to try that MM on my 555 at some point as well as the 550 and others at some point . I'm not into porting saws , I feel it best to leave them near stock....but that's just me .
yes on the 40:1 mix , I think that makes a big difference with longevity in the long run provided something else doesn't cause a lean issue .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

celliott

Most all of my saws have modified mufflers, but I haven't got around to swiss cheesing my Jonsered 2260 muffler yet. I typically like using a husky 266 deflector and just bolt it onto the side for a dual port, but the 2260\562 muffler doesn't really seem to be a good fit for that. I'll definitely drill out under the deflector though!

Can you remove any material through the inlet of the muffler?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CTYank

Chris, a very Happy Birthday to you!  8)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

HolmenTree

Yes Happy  Birthday Chris

No there's nothing worth removing in front of the inlet of the muffler  . Just a deflector  plate with lots of opening at the bottom of the muffler . If one was to woods port the cylinder sure remove the deflector but the issue is the extra small outlet that needs to be enlarged.
For just a muffler mod the deflector is a must to keep the decimal levels down.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 07:01:46 PM

No there's nothing worth removing in front of the inlet of the muffler  . Just a deflector  plate with lots of opening at the bottom of the muffler . If one was to woods port the cylinder sure remove the deflector but the issue is the extra small outlet that needs to be enlarged.

Decibel, I presume. Some auto correct likely is playing games with you?  :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on September 17, 2015, 07:17:29 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 07:01:46 PM

Decibel, I presume. Some auto correct likely is playing games with you?  :)
Haha yes this phone is a challenge Niko
Thanks for all your input,  your wealth of information gathering is greatly appreciated  8)

49er

Ah,Yes, I remember the oil pump gear being different now. My buddy logs and his gear stripped and I thought I'd just swap my 2260 gear but it wouldn't work. The 562 gear is thicker.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

SawTroll

Quote from: 49er on September 17, 2015, 08:17:06 PM
Ah,Yes, I remember the oil pump gear being different now. My buddy logs and his gear stripped and I thought I'd just swap my 2260 gear but it wouldn't work. The 562 gear is thicker.

I have seen claims that the 562 crank is longer on the clutch side, but the evidence is lacking - and I fail to see any reason it should be that way? There is a slight difference in the oilers (the 562 puts out more at max, for 28" bars), but again I fail to see how that should make a thicker oiler gear necessary?  ???

I haven't looked into how it is with the 556 vs. the 555.
Information collector.

Oliver1655

Willard, Pomme de Torre is a reservoir in the south western side of Missouri.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

HolmenTree

Quote from: Oliver1655 on September 17, 2015, 10:02:36 PM
Willard, Pomme de Torre is a reservoir in the south western side of Missouri.
Yeah I Googled that too Oliver and found its also a ghost town in Minnesota. Other Google search gave me potatoes  ;D

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on September 17, 2015, 03:24:23 PM

I remember a few years back getting an article about building a big Jonsered .. for competition. From Holman Tree. AND it strikes me every time I see a "new" video or thread on complex mods, how the goal ultimately is to achieve something similar with physics of their system working compression/squish band/ etc. as is articulated in that 1970's era article. Of course in that build there was a significant amount of machine work, especially relative to the combustion chamber. Bottom line. Physics is physics. And some have literally seen it all...

And its nice to see nice effective simple modifications that make improvements WITHOUT machining... mods that can be done with simple hand tools.  :P
Thanks Walter.
Back in the day a few holes stabbed into the front of a muffler with a scrench was a muffler mod :D
Walter that Jonsereds 111S hot saw build documentary from 1981-'84 I sent you was a good read. Especially with the homemade cast iron cylinder sleeve, detachable cylinder head and go kart carb.
Sad to see the saw ended up in Wayne Suttons chainsaw museum as the builder was scared of liability issues from the highest bidder.

celliott

Hey, thanks for the happy birthday wishes guys.

So this evening I drilled a few holes under the deflector on my 2260. Made a few quick test cuts. It's not a heck of a lot louder cutting, although noticeable. I noticed a different tone idling, sounds good. It'll get a workout next week so then I'll see if/how much difference there is.
I haven't had any hot start or hesitation issues, I'm pretty impressed with the saw.  I am running a 16", 3/8 setup and it's an animal for limb work and blocking 16" or less firewood. It was hanging right with an 046 stihl and ahead of a echo 670p cutting firewood (all 16" or less) at work last week.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

49er

One day I broke the center out of the starter on my 2253 and the next week I broke the starter on my 2260. Both were ported by tlandrum and pull over hard even with the decompression on. I thought it might be me but he said it just happens.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

SawTroll

Quote from: 49er on September 19, 2015, 10:19:53 AM
One day I broke the center out of the starter on my 2253 and the next week I broke the starter on my 2260. Both were ported by tlandrum and pull over hard even with the decompression on. I thought it might be me but he said it just happens.

As I understand it, increasing combustion chamber static compression tends to be overrated by several US "saw builders", and it has some disadvantages.
Information collector.

49er

As I understand it, increasing combustion chamber static compression tends to be overrated by several US "saw builders", and it has some disadvantages.
[/quote]
Yep, it may have and broken starters may be one of them. So what saw builders are those?
My 390 has so much compression I can not crank it fast enough to get a good reading. I have seen 240 psi. smiley_dizzy I had to put two "O"rings on the fitting because the piston hit it.
The two Jonsereds are not suppose to have too much. They were done by tlandrum. I have not checked the compression on those two because I don't have the correct fitting for my gauge. They have the little spark plugs.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Buyer be aware fellas.
A lot of these back woods saw builders with a lathe get business building wood ported saws by word of mouth are not what their cracked up to be  :D
Too bad they can't  file and handle a saw what their touted to be.

Their videos don't lie :D

49er

HolmenTree, I wouldn't call tlandrum backwoods. He has a good reputation.
I also know he spent many years logging before opening a Husky-Jonsered shop.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

That's good to hear 49er.
My comment wasn't singling out your saw's builder. I apologize if I made it sound that way.

49er

No problem, I have been rolling around conflicting view points in my head on saw modifications and longevity. I have been working on a 576 this morning, use to be AT, that was ported and has been very reliable for about two years in logging service.
I savaged it with a parts saw after a skidder accident. It seems to me trauma kills about half the saws in production use.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Yesterday I gave the 562 with a .325 9pin rim sprocket and 18" 20LPX chain setup a good workout.
I found the 9 pin rim was too much for my stock 562 with muffler mod even with the smaller chain on a 18" bar.
I might as well go back to the full size 3/8 and run the smaller 7 pin rim.
So I ordered a 2260/560 sprocket drum and oiler worm gear and then run either a 7 or 8 pin .325 rim sprocket. The 8 pin will get the gearing back to the original 7 pin 3/8 rim, but I have strong anticipation for the smaller 7 pin .325 rim also.
Lot's of torque  potential in bigger wood with the little 7 pin as the 562 has lots of top end rpm already.

snowshoveler

I just have to ask...is the .325 up to that kind of power.
We had trouble with it on 262 and 357 saws in cold weather.
Would rip the chain apart when limbing.
This is probably operator error but that 562 is pretty fast for limbing and here I would not even consider putting it on.
Most users cant file the chain very good anyway but that's another story.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!