iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

powering a bandmill

Started by jay wyant, March 21, 2006, 05:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay wyant

First of all  I have been reading this site for a month or so and the the information available here is awsome. Now my question:

What does everyone use for the axle to power your bandmill(home built). I see trailer tire, spare car tires, etc. Rear spindles from cars seems like a great idea for an idler wheel but how do you attach a pulley to drive it?

I am considering building one for the short term, andwas curious how you guys are doing it.

My dream is to get a 10"WPF peterson, it's just not the right time for me.

Trent

This is what I did. The drive wheel is driven by a pulley attached to the FRONT of the wheel.    Trent
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

barbender

Mine has a car axle that is turned and keyed to accept the drive pulley.  I have seen some on here and elsewhere that the drive belt was put right on the tire (bandwheel) I don't know if you would have to turn a groove in the tire for the belt to stay on or what, others could tell you better. Also, make that mill as nice as you can, gobble up all the good advice on this site.  Mine is a Rake style bandmill a friend of mine built, then he got into swingmills and built one of those before he finished this one. So I bought it about 75% finished, and am still working on finishing the rest. I wouldn't recommend the Rake design,  it cuts good quality boards but has a lot of little annoyances that I would do different if I ever build another one.
Too many irons in the fire

jgoodhart

I use trailer tires. I just used Cold Roll shafting and shrunk and welded a piece of 1/2 plate steel on one end to hold the rim, the hub was turned true in a lathe and drilled for the bolt pattern of the rim. I used 1 7/16" pillow block bearings and they are pinned on to a plate that is slottted for adjustments. My opinion the blade guides were the hardest part to build.

Shawn

I too am using trailer wheels. But, I'm using the hubs as well. I have knocked out the races and making "pucks"  for my center supports. The "pucks" will have the race bore O.D. and my shaft diameter I.D.  I'm using 1.25" shafts and pillow blocks.
PM me with any questions.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

GF

Check out www.surpluscenter.com they have a 5 bolt hub that can be connected to a tapered shaft that can be turn on a metal lathe.  Its only $14.00

jrokusek

Quote from: Shawn on March 23, 2006, 12:51:54 AM
I too am using trailer wheels. But, I'm using the hubs as well. I have knocked out the races and making "pucks"  for my center supports. The "pucks" will have the race bore O.D. and my shaft diameter I.D.  I'm using 1.25" shafts and pillow blocks.
PM me with any questions.
Shawn...

I have been kicking around the same idea.  I'm currently using 1" shafts and go-kart hubs but most people on this forum tell me that it's too small and will eventually break.  I have  the new shafts and pillow blocks but haven't bought hubs yet.  I'd REALLY be interested in seeing your "pucks" or inserts and how you get it all to work out.  Unfortunately I'm not a machinist and will have to hire someone to do this for me......

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!