iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodchipper question

Started by alecs, August 05, 2013, 03:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

Hi,
I've been reading with interest the recent thread started by LeeB about a PTO woodchipper.  I have a small woodchipper made by DR, it came with the house that I bought about 3 years ago.  It's on a little trailer, has a two-cylinder Briggs engine, and can handle 4" logs.  It works pretty well for what I need it to do, which is mostly brush, limbs, and small saplings, white pine, oak, ash, etc. 

The big drawback to it is that the discharge is directly onto the ground.  The way I set it up is to back it up to the bucket of my tractor's front end loader (which also came with the house!) and then when I get a full bucket, I stop the chipper, get on the tractor, and go dump the chips where I want them, which is usually into the dump trailer.  Even with this method, however, if I am not careful about moving the pile of chips away from the discharge, it will quickly clog up, especially when I am chipping pine branches with lots of needles.  The clogs are a PITA to clear, and you have to be super careful because it will clog up in a minute if you're not paying attention.  So after every few branches, I have to lean over and spread the pile out in the loader's bucket. 

I'm thinking the best solution is to get a different chipper with a regular discharge chute that I could aim directly into the trailer, bypassing the loader step and reducing the clog problem.  But I am also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a smallish chip conveyor that could go between the existing chipper and the trailer.  Or maybe something rigged up with a blower and a chute?  Any ideas for how to continuously get chips from the chipper into the trailer without having to use the loader and constantly adjust the discharge pipe would be appreciated! 

Otherwise: For sale, one gently used trailer mounted DR chipper!

Roxie

The farmer in me is seeing an old grain elevator between the chipper and the trailer.   :)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!